Duck egg fertility

Runners usually become mature at 17-24 weeks of age. They will start laying around that time and can produce as many as 300 eggs/year. Some have been known to mature in 4 months and start laying at that time.
Once yours are settled in and comfortable around each other and their new home, you can expect them to start laying.
Seeing as they are prolific layers, calcium and Vitamin D should be supplemented to provide adequate calcium uptake. To help prevent soft shelled or no shell eggs. HTH

I just introduced an Indian Runner Drake to my 2 Indian Runner Ducks. Now how long will it take
till the eggs will be fertile. I am going to try to incubate the eggs.
If your girls are already laying I would think and soon as they start "getting acquainted" with the new drake the eggs should be fertile. Miss Lydia or JPat will know for sure.

If your girls are already laying I would think and soon as they start "getting acquainted" with the new drake the eggs should be fertile. Miss Lydia or JPat will know for sure.
Thankyou for your reply DuckyDonna. What I did was waited for 10 days & broke an egg open & saw the white mark on the yolk. So I assume they must be fertile.

Thankyou for your reply DuckyDonna. What I did was waited for 10 days & broke an egg open & saw the white mark on the yolk. So I assume they must be fertile.
I'm not so sure that white mark on the yolk means anything but I could be wrong. I had always thought the baby developed from the yolk but that is not true. They form from the whites and the yolk is what gives them nourishment to grow.

fertile-eggs21.jpg

It's the bullseye your looking for with fertile.

So Now I've learned that I'm about 100% wrong!

Hey, life is all about learning. All eggs have a 'spot' or nucleus. If fertilized a couple of cellular divisions take place resulting in a bullseye like appearance. This fertilized 'bullseye' is what becomes the chick/duckling obtaining nourishment from the egg.

Back
Top Bottom