Duck egg hatching question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ktduck, Feb 28, 2015.

1. ktduck

ktduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hello,

One of my girls has been sitting on eggs for a few weeks. She has done this before and never committed long enough for anything to happen, however I checked the eggs this afternoon and there are dark looking marks on the inside. It looks like there is ducklings in there, but I can't find any pictures like this online. I don't know if they are dead or if that's just how they look? Has anyone else had natural ducklings and if so is this what the eggs looked like before hatching?
    The other question is if they do hatch do I bring them inside? Or shall I just let my girl do her thing. We already have 5 ducks and cannot keep anymore so I would be giving these ducklings to my step sister who has a farm.
    Thanks look forward to some help!! :))

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I have never hatched but maybe this chart this would help
    [​IMG]

3. ktduck

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thank you for that chart it helps slightly!
    The thing is, I don't need to candle the egg to see this. When my girl hops off it is very visible all these blackened marks under the egg and they are not in a neat circle like that. Anyone else have and experience with this?

4. ktduck

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    [​IMG]

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Take a smell. I'm almost positive that black eggs means they are bad and you need to toss them before they explode. I hope someone else will weigh in though since I have not hatched anything and this advice is just from what I've read. Did she kick those eggs out? If so then that means she knows they are no good. Since I've not delt with this someone else really should give their opinion.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  6. ktduck

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    She hasn't tossed them she is still sitting on them religiously! I hope they aren't bad :( hope someone can help!!

7. madamiec

madamiec Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Roann, Indiana
    Great reference chart...and I'm no expert by any means but I've been hatching ducks for 8 years. If you SEE black/dark stuff inside then the previous post is correct. Bad. Sorry. You cannot see more than light shading (and it's not very often) on a very clean white egg when the duckling is getting bigger. Be careful because they will burst easily because they have been bad for a long time (and warm) at this point. I hope you have something left for the broody mom to finish!

8. ktduck

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    That is a real shame :( I tossed the two darkest ones. Do you think they will all be bad? I guess the other one which is going Gray is also bad. The other one is a sort of pink colour. She has no other eggs so I guess just wait for her next try. Is there a reason this happens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by