Duck egg hatching under hen help please!

She will look a lot more shocked when it starts paddling about in the water she thinks is just for drinking!

I remember whenever I raised ducks with a broody hen, the hen gets all panicky when they go in the water and calls them out, but the ducklings don't care, they love the water so instinctively!

On that point, make sure the duckling has a wide and shallow water bowl so it can rinse its
nares, paddle and clean it's down and learn to filter water through its bill. Shredded lettuce sprinkled in the water is a big hit.

She will look a lot more shocked when it starts paddling about in the water she thinks is just for drinking!

I remember whenever I raised ducks with a broody hen, the hen gets all panicky when they go in the water and calls them out, but the ducklings don't care, they love the water so instinctively!

On that point, make sure the duckling has a wide and shallow water bowl so it can rinse its
nares, paddle and clean it's down and learn to filter water through its bill. Shredded lettuce sprinkled in the water is a big hit.
Thanks......I've just splinted its leg as it hasn't straightened well. Hoping to get it paddling later, the hen is rather protective so its quite a job getting it out at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom