Duck Egg Oddity?

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
My Buff Orpington Duck has laid an egg that has a swirled appearance to the shell for the past two days. Is this normal or should I be worried? She free ranges on the pond every day and leads her flockmates all over 2 acres (which I really don't like but I also don't want to keep her locked up unless absolutely necessary) in search of goodies. She's fed "Floating Waterfowl Feed" from Southern States, morning and night. Oyster Shell is offered free choice on the side, which I notice she and my Pekin duck gobble up every night like they enjoy it (???). Is this possibly from over consumption of calcium? The only treat that I've found them to enjoy has been minnows, which I do feed them every few weeks (whenever I can get to the store that sells them). My other duck, a Pekin, has normal looking eggs.
20200611_083516.jpg
20200611_083343.jpg

Edited to add that I haven't cracked them open to have a look inside but I can if necessary

I made a thread about the same thing a while back. Someone said that swirls are normal in duck eggs and that even if they don't look like it, if you candle it, you'll see swirls often times.

Not sure how true that is but I don't think it's anything to worry about. After a short time, I stopped getting swirly eggs. Not sure what causes it to show so much but here's how mine looked.

IMG_20200206_190311846.jpg

IMG_20200114_172849761.jpg

@Kaiori thank you so much for sharing and replying. This has weighed heavily on my mind all day since the past two days Tom has laid these different looking eggs. I keep worrying every night whenever they're gobbling up oyster shell so that was the first thing to cross my mind. Plus, Tom had an infection (bumblefoot) on the very end of her toe a little while back so that was the next thing. My mind goes from "a little bit of concern" to "oh no, this could be life threatening" in record time, so I really appreciate you helping to ease my overreacting mind. Thank you

It's very normal, my Buffs and Swedish laid swirl ed eggs the whole time they were with me. They are pretty to look at and delicious to eat.

This is the first time I've ever seen the swirled appearance. That's interesting. I only have 2 ducks, so maybe that's why I've not seen it before. I get odd looking chicken eggs and from what I've read, oftentimes there is a reason of some kind behind the oddity. That's why I was concerned. I do appreciate both of you clarifying this. Makes me feel so much better to let go of some worries. Thank you both so much

@Kaiori thank you so much for sharing and replying. This has weighed heavily on my mind all day since the past two days Tom has laid these different looking eggs. I keep worrying every night whenever they're gobbling up oyster shell so that was the first thing to cross my mind. Plus, Tom had an infection (bumblefoot) on the very end of her toe a little while back so that was the next thing. My mind goes from "a little bit of concern" to "oh no, this could be life threatening" in record time, so I really appreciate you helping to ease my overreacting mind. Thank you

Aww, no problem. 😁 I know how the worry can be with these kinds of things. I think we all understand that. Lol I'm happy I could ease your mind.

Back
Top Bottom