Duck egg or chicken egg?

I have a white Plymouth Rock I have a isa brown a black star and two Banty black Cochins but none have a really red comb and the egg was like a cream color

If it helps, I too have buffs and pekins, neither lay tan eggs. The buffs lay white eggs and all but one of the pekins lay an off white egg the other lays an egg with a slight green tint. Aside from that, since day one their eggs have been massive. Unlike my chickens my ducks started laying eggs bigger and then they averaged out. My chickens started laying tiny wee little things and they got bigger. Another thing to note is that chicken eggs are typically clean and duck eggs are filthy. That might be because my ducks started burying their eggs after the first few weeks.

Good luck figuring it out!

My guess (FWIW
1f600.png
) is that it's a duck egg, because it is dirty, and you said the shell was pretty hard to crack. And also the reason the yolk was so small was because that's typical of a new layer.

Chicken eggs are more porous so if you can look through the shell with a candler or flashlight it is usually obvious. Duck eggs are smooth and waxy feeling, plus they taste different than chicken eggs and bake different than chicken eggs. They have a richer texture. The darker yolk color compared to store bought eggs has to do with the bird's diet but the white of duck eggs will have a slightly different (more geletin) texture. If it seems like a chicken egg it probably is but if something seems odd about the egg it is probably a duck egg.

Ducks do not tend to lay in nest boxes so if it was on the ground it was more likely a duck egg than a chicken egg. Ducks sometimes lay in their water and then you will know for sure. Duck eggs can have dried mud on them so that is another clue.

She lays in the corner but now all my hens combs have started to redden I feel like I'm gonna start getting quite a few eggs

Back
Top Bottom