duck egg or chicken egg?

Darklingstorm

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Durant, Oklahoma
Is there anyway to identify a duck egg from a chicken egg by sight only?
I have a khaki Campbell duck and 9 chicken hens. My wynadottes (23 weeks old) have taken a liking to the duck hut and I've been finding eggs in there. My duck is 22 weeks old and could/has started to lay eggs.

As soon as this horrible heat goes away, I'm going to build a separate pen for my ducks and will know for sure then if she lays an egg, but until then, the ducks and chickens share all.

Not by sight I dont think, but I do know that chicken eggs are smoother that duck eggs and duck eggs are more course.
frow.gif

I find that my duck eggs look different than my chickens. Holding them up next to each other you can see it. I cant really explian the difference but the duck eggs looks more irradecent than the chickens. Amd like others said ducks eggs feel courser than chicken eggs.

Take your fingernail and run it down the side of the egg gently, the duck eggs are waxy like and you see an actual scratch in the egg shell.....Plus ducks eggs tend to be bigger and fatter instead of slimmer like some chicken eggs...

Duck eggs, campbells at least, are white. Almost translucent like. And they should be MUCH larger than they chicken eggs (maybe not at first, my campbell eggs were similar to chicken eggs in size for the first year or so).
They are also very smooth. But that translucent/white color should make them stand out.

You guys are so right. I found an egg this afternoon under the coop. It was off-white and very smooth. Absolutely not from one of my chicken girls. I'm guessing I have just found my first duck egg! Ming Ming is 22 weeks old today.

76248_first_duck_egg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom