Duck egg reactions

SJchickens

Songster
Mar 13, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hi,

We've had ducks since summer now, and they've been laying like crazy. That would be a dream come true if we could eat them.

My parents and I have all recently developed a strong intolerance of our duck eggs. Eating just a bite causes pains, vomiting, light-headedness, etc. for the rest of the day.

Our friend volunteered to take some off of our hands after we told her we were apparently allergic to them. Sure enough, she calls the next day to tell us she is horribly ill from the eggs.

Is this a crazy coincidence, or is there something wrong with our duck eggs? We feed our chickens and ducks the same feed (the chicken eggs are fine to eat) and the ducks seem perfectly healthy.

We really hate tossing eggs but we can't give them away either for fear of them causing more reactions.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Have you eaten duck eggs from other places? Has your friend? Do the ducks free range? When you say developed, do you mean you could eat them before?

Totally off topic, I like youre avatar gif

Have you eaten duck eggs from other places? Has your friend? Do the ducks free range? When you say developed, do you mean you could eat them before?

Totally off topic, I like youre avatar gif

We have never had duck eggs from other people, but I'm not sure about the friend. The ducks occasionally free range. We could eat them before, yes, but the reaction all developed for us at the same time suddenly. After that, our friend tried them and developed the reaction immediately. She had not eaten our eggs before.

Also, thank you! I once had a rooster who hopped around, so the gif reminds me of him.

Last edited:
Is it possible theyre getting into something? Something you are allergic to? Like some flower or...I dont know if ducks could eat poison ivy or something, I know goats eat it fine but ducks?

I don't think they free range enough for that to be an option. We might just be intolerant to them, but what part of them?

The eggs are so beautiful and the yolks are gigantic... I'm so sad that they're going to waste.

I believe the protein enzymes are different in each species. Your digestive system might have trouble breaking them down.
This isn't a completely unusual reaction to them. I have a few family members who aren't able to eat duck eggs but are perfectly fine with chicken eggs.

See, funny thing is, most of the time I hear of people having intolerance of chicken eggs, so they raise ducks. Its also strange to me that SJchickens could handle it at first. Maybe if you can find someone who has eaten duck eggs before to try your eggs? I live about 3 hrs away
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom