Duck egg shrink wrapped and not piping

Oct 23, 2023
Hi, I have recently started letting my duck sit on her eggs and found a large crack in the shell but not the ducks sack. I saw some things saying to put coconut oil on the sack but I am worried about it’s development because we are not sure when she started sitting in the eggs we just know it has been at least 21 days or more
IMG_7344.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, I have recently started letting my duck sit on her eggs and found a large crack in the shell but not the ducks sack. I saw some things saying to put coconut oil on the sack but I am worried about it’s development because we are not sure when she started sitting in the eggs we just know it has been at least 21 days or more
Have you already found the article on assisted hatching? It has a lot of helpful information:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Is the duckling alive? (moving, wiggling, heart beat, or anything else that would indicate life.)

Development is a good question. I see that it fills a large amount of the egg, and I think I see it covered with down. But from what I can find of duckling development, that should be true for at least a week before it are ready to hatch.

If it is alive, look for veins in or under the membrane (the article I linked has a few photos, partway down the page, of chicks with visible veins and chicks that don't have visible veins.)

The duckling should have lots of veins visible when it is still growing and still absorbing the yolk. The veins should disappear when it is done absorbing the yolk and ready to actually come out of the shell.

The article also mentions the beak. If it looks like it is chewing or yawning, it is probably still absorbing the yolk and not ready to finish hatching.

If the duckling is ready to hatch, of course you would help it out. But if it is not ready to hatch, I am a bit worried that it might get injured or get an infection of some sort (because of that big hole in the shell.)

Have you already found the article on assisted hatching? It has a lot of helpful information:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Is the duckling alive? (moving, wiggling, heart beat, or anything else that would indicate life.)

Development is a good question. I see that it fills a large amount of the egg, and I think I see it covered with down. But from what I can find of duckling development, that should be true for at least a week before it are ready to hatch.

If it is alive, look for veins in or under the membrane (the article I linked has a few photos, partway down the page, of chicks with visible veins and chicks that don't have visible veins.)

The duckling should have lots of veins visible when it is still growing and still absorbing the yolk. The veins should disappear when it is done absorbing the yolk and ready to actually come out of the shell.

The article also mentions the beak. If it looks like it is chewing or yawning, it is probably still absorbing the yolk and not ready to finish hatching.

If the duckling is ready to hatch, of course you would help it out. But if it is not ready to hatch, I am a bit worried that it might get injured or get an infection of some sort (because of that big hole in the shell.)
Thankyou very much for all the help and I can see veins and movement but I think I will leave it a day or two before assisting it but Thankyou for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom