Duck egg taste comparision with chicken eggs

They have a richer taste but still eggs is eggs.
tongue.png

I like 'em better than chicken eggs - and I love my chickens' eggs! - the duck eggs have a taste which is more rich. And of course they're larger... so a two duck egg omelet is about the same as a three chicken egg omelet.

My egg customers don't want duck eggs, so I get to eat all of mine.

Yes, they taste better than hens' eggs, IMHO, BUT ... I think a lot of the aversion to it is psychological. My sister insists that she doesn't like them, but I cook them all the time and she eats them on a routine basis -- deviled, scrambled, in potato salad, etc. I just make sure she never sees them in the shell prior to my cooking them. What she doesn't know won't hurt her.

My dad was the same way. He developed type II diabetes in his 50s. He claimed he hated the taste of Nutrasweet, said anything sweetened with it was so bitter it was inedible, and would never eat it. My mother made sugar free jello, sugar free pudding, etc, for him on a routine basis for the last 20 years of his life, and he never knew the difference because he never saw the box. Had he known, he would have NOT eaten it, and said how awful and bitter it was. Since he didn't know it was sugar free, it was always "this is good, can I have some more?"

It depends on what the ducks eat.

If the ducks eat the exact same feed as chickens and live with fresh water, then the taste will be the same. If they have access to a pond and they eat small fish and fresh water crustaceans daily, that will flavor the eggs.

I think the main difference is the texture between duck and chicken eggs though. Duck eggs have a larger yolk so the yolk part is "richer" or more creamy depending on how you cook it. The whites are ... 'harder' or more 'rubberier' are the words my mom uses to describe them after cooking them sunny-side up. The protein bonds are stronger in duck eggs, so they are much better for the texture of baked goods if you are making a cake or bread. Just remember that for every 3 chicken eggs a recipe calls for, you only need 2 duck eggs.

Most people I've given eggs to say they taste very much like chicken eggs, just very fresh and rich.

One person said she didn't like the boiled duck egg she shared with her husband, that it tasted smokey. The husband, who ate the other half of the same egg, said it did not taste smokey, but tasted like a regular egg.

Mine are runners.

I recall my pekins laying eggs that tasted a bit different from the chicken eggs we bought. But that was many years ago.

Ducks are NOT frequent layers. Our Call Ducks layed eggs once a year. AND we did NOT enjoy the egg taste. Strong and the whites are "gooy". Nothing like our chicken eggs.
Our chicken eggs are frequent and delicious.

Back
Top Bottom