Duck egg taste comparision with chicken eggs

My ducks free range around our pond. We throw them some layer/corn daily (not much). The bulk of their diet is whatever they find. Their eggs taste much like my chicken eggs, only BETTER. I agree, a lot of it is probably psychological. I've had people say they just don't like the idea of eating a 'duckling.' Oh well. My ducks lay seasonally, but do lay daily during that time.

Quote:
It depends on the breed. My Rouen hens lay virtually every day from about mid-February through early/mid July.

I just got a dozen Golden 300 Hybrids layers from Metzer's. They will hopefully start laying right around/after New Years, with the aid of some artificial light. Metzer's says they can lay 300 eggs per day, on par with the best breeds of chickens, hence the "300" in the name.

lol.png
oh i hope that was a typo!!!! LOL 300 eggs a day, poor poor duckie!

Duck eggs are very similar in taste to home raised chicken eggs. They are nothing like store bought chicken eggs.

The yolk is larger, so the egg is richer. That extra richness makes them exceptionally good for baked goods.

An egg laying breed of duck lays more eggs than a chicken and some of the dual purpose duck breeds can lay up to 300 eggs per year.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback, I am so excited for my first duck egg! We brought home our ducks last night (turns out I couldn't just bring home 2 so I convinced DH that we needed all 4, he balked at it at first but then all of a sudden he said "ok, we have to go, all 4 ducks are loaded" to which I replied
woot.gif
he is such a sucker)

Here is a pic, any thoughts on how much they will lay??

87534_ducks.jpg

From many years ago when I had a couple of Pekins, I remember we had eggs maybe every other day or so. No records were set, but we had plenty of eggs for the three of us. Their eggs were larger than my runners' eggs, which are about the size of jumbo chicken eggs or a little larger.

Quote:
This is what I notice too. I really prefer duck egg yolks, and chicken egg whites. lol. I liek the richer yolks in duck eggs, but the firmer, more rubbery egg whites are a little too different for me. The texture is a little off-putting.

Quote:
Ok great! When do they start to lay? They are roughly 10 weeks...

Around 5 months, give or take some.
smile.png

I have read 14 weeks but mine have gone alittle longer before laying. I have pekins and they will lay in spurts. When they just started laying it was an egg a day for a couple months then they quit for 3 or 4 months and then layed a few weeks and took a break. They just started back laying in the last week for me. On the other hand my neighbor has pekins too and her female has hardly missed a day since she started laying.
I don't taste a differance between the eggs really, the duck egg may be a bit "tougher or rubbery" but it taste like an egg to me. They are awsome for baking, they make you cakes rise more and be fluffier. They have really tough shells and it's hard to crack them unlike chicken eggs, also the yolk and white is stiffer and it is harder to beat them together. I don't see muh taste difference between the two and mine freerange their acer pond every day.

Back
Top Bottom