Duck Egg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by axxell33, Nov 21, 2010.

1. axxell33

axxell33 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    Annapolis, MD
    I went out to gather my eggs this morning and ran across this monster. It's the biggest egg I have ever seen.. and much larger than any egg any of my hens have laid. I have 3 Muscovy females that were hatched on Jul 31st.. and they share a run with my chickens. They also have access to the chicken coop and the nesting boxes. Could this be a Muscovy egg? Are they old enough to start laying? Do they share the instinct of finding a nesting box like a chicken and laying there? They sleep in their own little house every night. I wasn't expecting any eggs until spring!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No, if it were a muscovy egg it would be very greasy looking and probably either white, greenish, or greyish. That is a double-yolk chicken egg.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  3. linda_zeagler31002

linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    My muscovy get in my chicken metal 10 hole nesting box and lay, but there eggs are white, that is a double yolk chicken egg from the looks of it

4. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    I don't think any breed of duck lays brown eggs....

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Muscovy eggs are Waxy-feeling & can range from almost white, Tan & Green. They DO have a waxxy feeling though & the waxy stuff can be scratched off.

6. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Axell.. A muscovy egg would be white or a little off white. And even bigger than that double yolker chicken egg your holding. [​IMG]

7. axxell33

axxell33 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    Annapolis, MD
    Thanks everyone! I guess I WILL be waiting until spring for a ducky egg.. this double yolk-er will be delicious tomorrow morning before work with my coffee. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by