Duck eggs - air cells growing at different rates!

Would 10 - 15% off in the first 25 days affect hatch that much? I meant more that, humidity seems to have a big range that’s considered to be “good.” If their humidity was any higher, I’d be more concerned, unless their humidity is worse than I think??

You do get a lot of different results for what’s “good” humidity, so perhaps I am just misinformed.
Yes, the egg shell is porous and water evaporates through it. In higher humidity, not as much water evaporates. This can lead to small airsacs and large ducklings which do not have enough room to zip to hatch. In extreme cases you get sticky chicks. In spring, egg shells tend to be thicker (assuming the duck did not lay all winter). This also prevents water from evaporating. So, unless it is extremely dry where you live, I would not add water. I had 17 out of 18 chickens hatch in the last two days. They were incubated in a dry incubator, only adding water when I locked down. I have just had much better success this way.

Yes, the egg shell is porous and water evaporates through it. In higher humidity, not as much water evaporates. This can lead to small airsacs and large ducklings which do not have enough room to zip to hatch. In extreme cases you get sticky chicks. In spring, egg shells tend to be thicker (assuming the duck did not lay all winter). This also prevents water from evaporating. So, unless it is extremely dry where you live, I would not add water. I had 17 out of 18 chickens hatch in the last two days. They were incubated in a dry incubator, only adding water when I locked down. I have just had much better success this way.
Yes, I’m aware of how the humidity affects the egg, I just thought the “acceptable” range for humidity was rather large. I’ve seen people recommend as low as 25%, some as high as 65%, so it’s rather confusing. What % do you have dry-hatching, or what would you consider to be an acceptable range?

Yes, I’m aware of how the humidity affects the egg, I just thought the “acceptable” range for humidity was rather large. I’ve seen people recommend as low as 25%, some as high as 65%, so it’s rather confusing. What % do you have dry-hatching, or what would you consider to be an acceptable range?
I live in Memphis where it is humid and rarely hatch in the winter. As a result, my humidity is usually around 50% dry.

I’ve read about dry incubating being ok for ducks, and also people saying not to do it for ducks😵‍💫 I wish it wasn’t all so confusing!
Ducks have extra thick egg shells. I do not see how someone can say it doesn’t work. I have tried both ways. I have had 100% hatches with ducklings hatched dry. I do watch the size of my air cells in case too much water is evaporating. In the fall, when my shells are thinner and the air is dry I do watch even more closely. If I lived up north and it was still cold when I was hatching and my indoor humidity was really low, I would also watch more closely for large air sacs. The op said she lives in Hawaii though. I am guessing the air isn’t very dry.

When you do dry incubation, do you still mist your duck eggs?

Thanks!
I do not. I used too but it increased the humidity. Many of my eggs would make it to lockdown but not manage to hatch. A mother duck doesn’t add water.
Edit: I would if the air sacs looked too big. I did have one batch from different mothers where the air cells where different sizes. Some looked too big, others too small. So, I would take out and spritz the large celled ones.

I do not. I used too but it increased the humidity. Many of my eggs would make it to lockdown but not manage to hatch. A mother duck doesn’t add water.
Edit: I would if the air sacs looked too big. I did have one batch from different mothers where the air cells where different sizes. Some looked too big, others too small. So, I would take out and spritz the large celled ones.
Oh, spritzing individually is a good idea.

I have now covered the water reservoir and the humidity is 50-51%. It’s pouring rain outside and has been for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom