Duck eggs - air cells growing at different rates!

My15Ducks

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Hawaii
Hi,
My duck eggs are 14 days into incubation. I have duck eggs from my flock, and purebred Indian Runner eggs that I bought. I’m concerned that the Runner eggs air cells are growing quite a bit faster/bigger than my other eggs! Should I lower humidity? Raise it? I only have one incubator so I’m limited in what I can do

The humidity is double checked with a calibrated hygrometer. It’s been running about 56-60% humidity. I live in Hawaii, it’s very humid, and I’ve been struggling to get it lower. Metzer hatchery recommends 57-58% so I’ve been aiming for about that.

The Runner eggs were washed before I got them. I’ve heard this speeds moisture loss. They’re bigger than my eggs. I think they’re older, because about half of them were infertile or already starting to rot by day 7.. So I’m wondering if this is affecting them compared to my fresh, unwashed eggs.

Here are pictures. The Runner eggs are labeled, the unlabeled eggs are my duck’s eggs. I used a pencil to mark the air cell size for day 14

0CC7F599-1062-4DF1-9D8C-7279C7E49284.jpeg
CF47038A-8282-4616-9C92-112B40A9E654.jpeg
D0AE6CB4-19D9-4A36-8624-1642FB6672CC.jpeg
623C985A-E86F-4ED3-825A-722FB4DDD1B1.jpeg
DBCB0589-BBF0-459B-9DDF-63C43331447F.jpeg

I think both of their sizes are okay, maybe a little small, actually. I personally run closer to 45 - 50%.

Humidity isn’t a huge deal during the first 25 days, it matters most towards the end when they’re hatching. If you can lower the humidity a bit to get them to be larger, I would, but I wouldn’t stress if you can’t. I’d say by the end of hatch, you’ll want the air cell filling 1/4 to 1/3 of the egg.

I think both of their sizes are okay, maybe a little small, actually. I personally run closer to 45 - 50%.

Humidity isn’t a huge deal during the first 25 days, it matters most towards the end when they’re hatching. If you can lower the humidity a bit to get them to be larger, I would, but I wouldn’t stress if you can’t. I’d say by the end of hatch, you’ll want the air cell filling 1/4 to 1/3 of the egg.
Thank you. That’s reassuring. I put a lid with holes over the water reservoir in the incubator to reduce water surface area. I can try making another lid with smaller holes to reduce humidity further.

Thank you. That’s reassuring. I put a lid with holes over the water reservoir in the incubator to reduce water surface area. I can try making another lid with smaller holes to reduce humidity further.
Please don’t. Too much humidity is way worse than too low. You end up with large ducklings which can’t hatch on their own. Mommy duck does not add water. I incubate dry until lockdown and have very high hatch rates. I would only add water if I was in a very dry climate.

Humidity is a huge deal throughout the entire incubation period.
Too high humidity throughout is worse, IMO.

Are you trusting the incubator's humidity reading? If so don't they are usually wrong.
But a separate humidity gauge and salt test it.

These are actually really good:
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...NyIwIaFAxUsIUQIHZWKCsEQ9aACKAB6BAgCEA4&adurl=
No, I’m not trusting the incubator. I have a separate Govee hygrometer that I calibrated using the salt test.

The humidity issue is very confusing because everyone recommends something different. I realize that it is dependent on different factors so there isn’t a one size fits all answer. But it sounds like lower is better. I’ll try to get mine down to around 50%?

Please don’t. Too much humidity is way worse than too low. You end up with large ducklings which can’t hatch on their own. Mommy duck does not add water. I incubate dry until lockdown and have very high hatch rates. I would only add water if I was in a very dry climate.
Sorry, just to make sure I understand, “please don’t” what? I was talking about reducing the humidity. Isn’t that what I should be doing?
Thanks for your help

Humidity is a huge deal throughout the entire incubation period.
Too high humidity throughout is worse, IMO.
Would 10 - 15% off in the first 25 days affect hatch that much? I meant more that, humidity seems to have a big range that’s considered to be “good.” If their humidity was any higher, I’d be more concerned, unless their humidity is worse than I think??

You do get a lot of different results for what’s “good” humidity, so perhaps I am just misinformed.

I meant, please don’t add water at all. Sorry, I didn’t read your post correctly. I would remove or completely cover the water. Your air sacs look small.
Ok, thanks. I’m a bit nervous about removing all the water but I can try😅 Should I do it slowly so there isn’t a sudden change?

Back
Top Bottom