Ducks chirping but too early…a few questions

SelfSufficientMe

Songster
Mar 17, 2022
Central Florida
My welsh harlequin and welsh harlequin khaki crosses are due to hatch Sunday 2/25. I checked them on 2/17 and 27 out of 28 were moving but the air cells were not quite as big as they should be so I dropped humidity down by removing water. I thought for sure I’d have plenty of time to lose some water before they went into lockdown. Well I checked a few tonight to see if there had been any progress and I saw shadowing. I took all of the eggs out and removed the turner. I didn’t plan on that until 2/22. While I was removing the eggs I heard chirping in a few. I laid them on their sides properly so now I wait.

I’m unsure how long the ones chirping have been pipped. I’ve only done one other hatch and it was with a crummy, cheap incubator. I do not want a repeat of dead birds.

Should I increase humidity even though air cells aren’t quite where I want them? They’re pretty close though so may be okay. I’ve seen conflicting images online. I don’t want to chance shrinking air cells on eggs that may not be ready.

Perhaps the temperature was uneven throughout the incubator bc not all are shadowing or pipped. Is it highly likely that the ones that may hatch early won’t make it?

Am I safe to assume if there are still live pipped eggs in the morning that I should make air holes?

I don’t want to intervene too soon but I also don’t want to lose ducks. Tough decision.

Thanks for any advice.

My welsh harlequin and welsh harlequin khaki crosses are due to hatch Sunday 2/25. I checked them on 2/17 and 27 out of 28 were moving but the air cells were not quite as big as they should be so I dropped humidity down by removing water. I thought for sure I’d have plenty of time to lose some water before they went into lockdown. Well I checked a few tonight to see if there had been any progress and I saw shadowing. I took all of the eggs out and removed the turner. I didn’t plan on that until 2/22. While I was removing the eggs I heard chirping in a few. I laid them on their sides properly so now I wait.

I’m unsure how long the ones chirping have been pipped. I’ve only done one other hatch and it was with a crummy, cheap incubator. I do not want a repeat of dead birds.

Should I increase humidity even though air cells aren’t quite where I want them? They’re pretty close though so may be okay. I’ve seen conflicting images online. I don’t want to chance shrinking air cells on eggs that may not be ready.

Perhaps the temperature was uneven throughout the incubator bc not all are shadowing or pipped. Is it highly likely that the ones that may hatch early won’t make it?

Am I safe to assume if there are still live pipped eggs in the morning that I should make air holes?

I don’t want to intervene too soon but I also don’t want to lose ducks. Tough decision.

Thanks for any advice.
Did you see the actual beak in the air cell or just shadowing along the lower side of the air cell pushing the membrane ?
If the babies beak is inside the air cell you need to bump the humidity up now so if they do external pip they won’t be in trouble
The baby usually shadows pushing on the membrane along the air cell for 24-48 hours before the internal pip
The air cell will grow really fast within that time
As for times I have had babies hatch anywhere from day 24 to day 30
and he just fine :)

Did you see the actual beak in the air cell or just shadowing along the lower side of the air cell pushing the membrane ?
If the babies beak is inside the air cell you need to bump the humidity up now so if they do external pip they won’t be in trouble
The baby usually shadows pushing on the membrane along the air cell for 24-48 hours before the internal pip
Thank you so much. I just added some water back to the tray and within a few minutes it jumped from 20 to 55.

Temp is coming back up from me opening the lid. It’s at about 98.7 and climbing. I’ve kept it around 99.7 to 100.1. There were days that it crept to 100.5 and I’d adjust and then it would be 99.2 so I’d adjust again. I made sure my digital was accurate by borrowing a calibrated thermometer from my lab at work. Can’t be completely sure it was accurate. When you research online, temps vary a bit so I’m thinking I may have had it too high.

And I’ve run humidity around 55% from day one although one day it was 70% bc I plugged a hole thinking I needed to. For the past two and a half days I ran 20% thinking I needed larger air cells. I plugged one hole so I’m hoping for 65%. Does that seem about right or should I shoot for 70-80%?

I didn’t realize the air cell grows near hatch. I want to check the eggs that chirped but I’m going to leave them alone until tonight and check without moving them. I’m pretty sure one was definitely not a shadow. Maybe even two. I feel like I saw the entire head one one and quite a bit of beak on the other. One more was likely shadowing. I’ll do some research with pictures. I’d take a pic for you but I don’t want to disturb them. I definitely heard sounds and eggs were moving. All 27 had movement when I candled. Thankfully most of them have no shadowing yet. I appreciate you replying! I’ll update my thread as they hatch 🤞🏼😊

Last edited:
The higher heat will have pushed for faster growth and can be why it’s a bit earlier hatching
I run 45 % humidity for incubating and 65-75 for hatching
I personally like 70 % and as they hatch it jumps it up higher ( that’s totally okay )
For future hatches run 99.5 for heat
Moving the eggs around the bator once a day makes sure any cold or hot spots aren’t used by the same few eggs
Also At the 2 week mark is best to adjust humidity for air cells
If I need mine larger I will drop to 35% if I need them to slow down I will go 55%
It’s not to drastic where is shocks the egg but enough to help adjust air cells
You are correct in not moving the eggs to candle once in lockdown
( many make this mistake )
Leave them as is and move the candler instead
This way baby doesn’t get moved around and confused
Keep us updated
Remember ducklings take a long time to hatch
48-72 from first getting in the air cell

The higher heat will have pushed for faster growth and can be why it’s a bit earlier hatching
I run 45 % humidity for incubating and 65-75 for hatching
I personally like 70 % and as they hatch it jumps it up higher ( that’s totally okay )
For future hatches run 99.5 for heat
Moving the eggs around the bator once a day makes sure any cold or hot spots aren’t used by the same few eggs
Also At the 2 week mark is best to adjust humidity for air cells
If I need mine larger I will drop to 35% if I need them to slow down I will go 55%
It’s not to drastic where is shocks the egg but enough to help adjust air cells
You are correct in not moving the eggs to candle once in lockdown
( many make this mistake )
Leave them as is and move the candler instead
This way baby doesn’t get moved around and confused
Keep us updated
Remember ducklings take a long time to hatch
48-72 from first getting in the air cell
Great advice! I hope to hatch many, many ducks. My first hatch scared me but I’m past that. I have more eggs than I know what to do with so I may as well hatch them. This hatch is a 4H project for my 5 y/o son but I enjoy it more than he does.

I left work (early lunch lol) to run home and add water. Heading back now. For safety measures and bc I’m antsy/nosey I set up the camera that I use to watch my dogs😆 Maybe a bit overboard but at least I have peace of mind. Pay no mind to the pencil marks. That was the first day that I checked on them and I marked what I thought was the air cell and I was completely wrong lol.

Attachments

• 0C4E4C2D-B05F-4A26-B5AF-BA6666847E61.png
    0C4E4C2D-B05F-4A26-B5AF-BA6666847E61.png
    890.1 KB · Views: 21
One has arrived😊

Attachments

• A6741E06-C64D-4CC4-909C-06412C19ECA7.jpeg
    A6741E06-C64D-4CC4-909C-06412C19ECA7.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom