Duck eggs day 21 Air cell photos and Incubation pictures

Pics

My15Ducks

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Hawaii
Hello fellow duck people. I’m back with some new air cell photos and other questions.

My incubator has been at 40-46% humidity for the last 2 days. Here are some new photos of their air cells at day 17. What do you guys think?
C1C45367-ED01-4F92-A325-20DC0F7EA234.jpeg

804474AF-05C4-4998-A6D8-88BDCF60C2C8.jpeg

2 of the eggs that I candled have this weird little dip in the air cell. Any idea what this means?

2232FB63-784B-458E-97A4-FE0C25539F5E.jpeg

In this last picture, the egg has veins but I saw no movement and there is this weird clot. I’m concerned that this one is dying.
19BE0953-FBF7-4E66-8496-F9678B186642.jpeg

Last question: what could be causing embryo death at this fairly late stage? I have 4 eggs that appear to have died after day 14. Is it because I lowered the humidity? Probably not.. The temperature has been steady between 99.5- 99.9 F. And yes I have multiple thermometers.

So far the majority of the eggs that have died have been my Indian Runners that I bought. The eggs had water stains and had been washed when I got them. Some already were rotten by day 7 and I removed them. So maybe it’s just poor egg quality? Most of the eggs from my duck flock are doing well.. I’m just hoping I’m not doing something wrong. I started with 22 Indian Runner eggs and I’m down to 10, with 2 more that are probably dead. It’s depressing! I started with 26 of my own eggs, and of those I still have 22 going strong.

Thanks!

The air cells look fine to me for this time in incubation.

Veins on the egg you said had no movement also look okay, check again in a couple of days.

It's unfortunate that the purchased eggs are having such a bad turn out. Were they shipped? This can cause a lot of them to not develop due to how they're handled. As for the late deaths, it happens... There may have been something wrong with the embryo that caused it to die.

It's unfortunate that the purchased eggs are having such a bad turn out. Were they shipped? This can cause a lot of them to not develop due to how they're handled.
No, they weren’t shipped. I had to drive about 2 hours to get them, but I packed them securely for the drive. But the eggs had been washed, had water stains, some were cracked.. So I don’t think the seller took the best care of them.

Here are day 19 pictures of the air cells. These are my ducks’ eggs. I forgot to take pictures of the Runner eggs. The Runners have larger air cells so I’m going to start taking them out of the incubator and misting them daily. I assume they are losing moisture faster because they were washed.

I can’t wait until they hatch. This is so nerve wracking!
82ED0D24-8B4E-44C4-A74C-924E89AAC28C.jpeg
90DE2FFC-AC45-433C-A862-553AC3D263AF.jpeg
351E7539-0D05-4BBC-8256-E7C64EB8E2B2.jpeg

I can see a few of the eggs wiggling! So exciting! It’s only day 20! (
I wrote the wrong date on this thread title)

I can see a few of the eggs wiggling! So exciting! It’s only day 20! (
I wrote the wrong date on this thread title)
The egg with the veins looks very healthy
You don’t always see movement that’s far along
I just had eggs look like tiny clots and these babies hatched today
Healthy veins equals life
If that baby dies those veins will be gone in less then 24 hours and the egg will turn yellowish
I’ll show you one we had for after lockdown
Baby just didn’t grow like the rest
The air cells are a bit small I would keep humidity 35-40 till lockdown
I cool and mist my eggs daily from day 10 till lockdown
Babies are still 8 days from hatch and have time for air cells to grow. As for the bought eggs
Washing them is my guess
When washed it takes all the protective Blume off and bacteria can enter and kill the baby
Nothing you have done wrong
This is one that died on day 27
Yoy can see the veins are gone and it’s turned ugly inside
It was moving day 26
Your egg doesn’t look like this

Attachments

• BA193D2C-A7A9-4A6E-BE8A-BB5351DC116A.png
    BA193D2C-A7A9-4A6E-BE8A-BB5351DC116A.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 1693D8F7-C6FD-4CD9-9FAB-B370ED946DAF.png
    1693D8F7-C6FD-4CD9-9FAB-B370ED946DAF.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • C76657B8-D452-435E-8D4D-CA609651D2EB.png
    C76657B8-D452-435E-8D4D-CA609651D2EB.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
The egg with the veins looks very healthy
You don’t always see movement that’s far along
I just had eggs look like tiny clots and these babies hatched today
Healthy veins equals life
If that baby dies those veins will be gone in less then 24 hours and the egg will turn yellowish
I’ll show you one we had for after lockdown
Baby just didn’t grow like the rest
The air cells are a bit small I would keep humidity 35-40 till lockdown
I cool and mist my eggs daily from day 10 till lockdown
Babies are still 8 days from hatch and have time for air cells to grow. As for the bought eggs
Washing them is my guess
When washed it takes all the protective Blume off and bacteria can enter and kill the baby
Nothing you have done wrong
This is one that died on day 27
Yoy can see the veins are gone and it’s turned ugly inside
It was moving day 26
Your egg doesn’t look like this
Thank you. Really appreciate the reply.
I did check the egg with the clot again this evening and it still has veins and looks good. So fingers crossed.

With the water reservoir completely covered, the humidity has been as low as 38 and as high as 48%.

Would you recommend that I start the daily cooling and misting now? I’ve been misting, but not cooling

I did check the egg with the clot again this evening and it still has veins and looks good. So fingers crossed.

With the water reservoir completely covered, the humidity has been as low as 38 and as high as 48%.

Would you recommend that I start the daily cooling and misting now? I’ve been misting, but not cooling
@New duck mommy 2021

Yes I would cool once a day
I just lift my lid off and set my alarm for 10 mins
I do this with all my eggs
The moms get off the nest to eat drink poo and forge
With ducks they also swim
This just copies mom cooling and wetting her belly
I think that baby will be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom