1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duck eggs: dead or alive

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jfishfam, Apr 8, 2011.

1. jfishfam

jfishfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I am hoping somebody can help us out. My son is using an incubator to hatch a couple of duck eggs. Problem is that he isn't sure when he put them in (his first time for hatching). We think they are around 22-27 days. One of the eggs looks different when he candles it, kind of has some dark spots that he says are new. I am going to try to post some pictures, could anybody tell me if it looks like the duckling died or is it still alive and we need to wait? I'm going to try to figure out how to post a picture. Thx

1 person likes this.
  2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Your best bet right now is to just upload a pic to photobucket and use the img tag it gives you. You can't upload here until you have a certain number of posts. I would be interested to see what your eggs look like. I am also on my first hatch of duck eggs.

3. jfishfam

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks, I'll try that. I definitely think this is a..you have to see it to know.

4. jfishfam

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    --loads/62006_bailey_to_duck_eggs_147.jpg[/img]

5. jfishfam

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Ok, I'm going to try to post the link to the pictures. Could somebody let me know if it works? Thx.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I think it looks normal for being in the last week of incubation. It should be dark. Keep on turning until you see an eggs rock. That is when you immediately need to go into lock down. Take a look at those pictures:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm

7. jfishfam

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you soooo much. I had no idea this would be so incredibly nerve-wracking:/

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    From those photos all you can see is light and dark - which would indicate there is a duckling in there rather than a rotten non fertile egg -however the best way to tell if it is still alive is to look at the area right behind the aircell- there should be a few small areas where you can see a little more light when candled. Look in this area for veins.

9. jfishfam

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    EXCITEMENT AT OUR HOUSE! The egg we thought might be dead started to peep just a little while ago!!!!!! We're gonna have a baby:)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Time to go into lockdown and keep the humidity high. Good luck with your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by