duck eggs/hatch worries

trailhound

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Today is day 28 for the duck eggs in my incubator- my first hatch. Last night when I got home from work I could hear peeping and see some of the eggs shaking, this morning, still no pips. Once they are peeping and shaking, how long should I expect to wait before they break through the shell?

Thanks for all the help! This hatching stuff is a fretful business!

My ducks pipped late on the 28th day and didn't hatch until the 29th.
I'm posting pics of them in just a minute...
check out the last page of my hatching thread. The link is in my sig line.

Mine can take up to a few days. I have had them pip and not zip for over a day before. Duck shells are thick, it prob takes alot to get through those! I have one call duck egg in my bator that I threw in just for the heck of it. It was due yesterday and has been shaking alot, but no external pip signs at all. We shall see if it makes it through. Good luck with your hatch.

Duck eggs can take a *long* time to hatch. It is not unusual for them to take even 48-72 hours after pip to hatch. It makes it really hard to know when there is a problem. The biggest problem though with a waterfowl hatch is not enough humidity, so I would be inclined to leave them be and just hope for the best so you don't lose precious humidity. When I have a full hatch going, I try to not even open the incubator until day 30 (depending a little on the breed as well). Good luck!

Thanks! I have four out now, and a few more have externally pipped, I imagine I will see them by morning. Whew!

Back
Top Bottom