Duck eggs hatching - 2 now gone quiet...

Jpw208

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2020
Hi all,

First ever hatch and I've got 3 indian runner ducks on the way.

1 - first externally pipped on day 25 and now day 27 he is half way zipped and making lots of noise.

2+3 - were showing all good signs / movement + heartbeat until day 25 and we candled today (day 27) v briefly but don't see any movement, air sac still in tact etc. But getting worried..

Any advice appreciated thanks

1-can you post a picture of the egg that is making such a fuss?
2- day 27 is still a bit early, I would not worry about the other two eggs just yet. Do the eggs look like their air cells have drawn down? When that happens, they are close to making an internal pip. Basically the air cell will look slanted. Most of my duckos start making pips and such on day 28.

Thanks for your help!

1- see attached pic but it's not v good as I don't want to open the incubator but he is about 45% zipped I'd say as it extends underneath him.

2-3 - yes, they have slanted air sacs so 🤞🤞!

Attachments

• PXL_20201117_090453049.jpg
    PXL_20201117_090453049.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for your help!

1- see attached pic but it's not v good as I don't want to open the incubator but he is about 45% zipped I'd say as it extends underneath him.

2-3 - yes, they have slanted air sacs so 🤞🤞!
So it looks like baby is actively trying to finish the line around the egg? When babies are ready to hatch, they will make a line of continuous pips about 3/4 of the egg. When this process starts it is usually pretty fast, when mine 'unzip' it takes about 15 mins.

Ah, well he has been trying to make a line around the egg for a while now, over the space of about 12 hours I'd say? He's gone a bit quiet now...keeping my fingers crossed he'll be okay!

He had been trying his best at zipping, but had gone quiet for about 2 hours so we just got him out to try an assisted hatch and unfortunately at some point this morning he must have died as he wasn't moving or peeping. Poor little guy was perfectly formed, so sad that he made it to the final hurdle but didn't survive.

Hi all,

First ever hatch and I've got 3 indian runner ducks on the way.

1 - first externally pipped on day 25 and now day 27 he is half way zipped and making lots of noise.

2+3 - were showing all good signs / movement + heartbeat until day 25 and we candled today (day 27) v briefly but don't see any movement, air sac still in tact etc. But getting worried..

Any advice appreciated thanks

Attachments

• welcome2.jpg
    welcome2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 9
Sometimes I help mine on there last little bit of shell.only the ones that have been trying to hatch out for a long time and have been struggling. I help them now.because last time some of mine died. Cos they got to weak and tired.

Back
Top Bottom