Duck eggs late hatching?

Thanks for the support, it's moving a lot more which is promising. We decided to open the air cell end of the other egg as we hadn't seen anything from it. Unfortunately it wasn't alive. I didn't want to open the shell fully, but it was obvious it wasn't with us, though it seemed pretty developed. Looks like this little one is the only chance. It's stressful and incredible at the same time - I've hatched chickens numerous times, once in this incubator and a few times in another, I've only had to help one chick in my entire incubating experience (which luckily survived) and this is bringing it all back. I'll be sure to post pictures if the little one makes it, and I'll keep you all posted
smile.png

this is very exciting!! i always love watching my chickens and ducks hatch its always amazing! and i hope your little one makes it
fl.gif
and i did not know that u can have late hatching duck eggs up to 32 days that makes me sad know cause i could of had 3 more ducks this summer
hit.gif

Hi all,

No more progress so far, we shone a torch in again and the baby is still breathing, cheeping and shifting about a little. We've put a damp paper towel under it as a way to offer some moisture to the membrane as it dries out a lot. The main problem is that the vein we saw earlier is still there
hmm.png
so, I was wondering if anybody knows how long it will be before the blood from the veins will be absorbed? I think it strange that there are any veins seeing as it is so late hatching. It's pretty touch and go
fl.gif
Thanks again for the help
smile.png

Duck need a long time to hatch. 24 hours to pip externally, and another 24-48 hours to absorb and hatch. Best is to leave it in the warm moist environment and keep an eye on the membrane. Peel a little bit at a time as long as you don't see any blood vessels.

Last edited:
Thought I'd leave a little update. Things aren't looking much different, except the vein is slowly getting thinner. I can also see what looks to be the yolk sac, with a little still to be absorbed. Looks like it was still early for this guy despite the now almost 4 day late hatching. It's getting late here now but I think I'll be up all night with the little guy to give it the best chance. Also I had to remove the wet paper towel as it was cooling the egg to much despite the warm water used, so now having to just dampen the membrane every couple of hours. It's still moving about and cheeping a little, but as said before it is very touch and go
fl.gif
<(think I might have slightly overused this smiley lol). Will update on any changes, thanks again.

Once all the blood and yolk is absorbed you should see an improvement in its strength. While they do move and peep while trying to hatch- its not until they are really ready that they get really active. All being well- the little guy will let you know when its ready if it needs any further help... You will hear it in the voice- they get a really desperate sound if they are really strugling and not getting anywhere on their own.

From internal pip to external pip, you've got to allow at least 24 hours. Then another 24-48 hours from external to hatch.

And you really shouldn't be handling the egg AT ALL during this time. I know you've had issues with the hatch & you're worried, but the absolute best thing you can do at this point is to raise the humidity in the incubator and then leave well enough alone. IF the egg goes more than about 36 hours without progress, THEN you might need to help. Until then, you are likely to do much more harm than help by messing with the egg.

I know it's hard to wait without seeing progress, but it really really is important.

Good luck!!

Hey all,

The duckling made it through the night, but no more progress has been made. The vein seems to have almost completely reduced in size, but the yolky part is still there and is looking a little gooey, will this be absorbed? And if so how long do you think it will take? I thought the the yolk was absorbed before the blood? I am keeping the membrane moist and keeping the humidity up. I think it might be shrink-wrapped though, as it seems to try and move but cannot. I'm not really sure whether to leave it how it is - I can see it breathing, but haven't heard it cheep. I fear the humidity isn't high enough, but I cannot add any more pans of water as it is a fairly small incubator. Any advice? Thanks.

You are a lot more self controlled then I could/would ever be. I know what I would have done/would do by now. All I can say is follow your heart/gut, it's usually right on with what to do. Good luck! I'm no expert by any means, still learning. But I think it's timeto help it out completely. JMHO. But, what do I know? I'm an impulsive person, but when I follow my heart/gut, it's usually right. Do what you feel is right, do what you feel you need to do like you did with that one chick you helped out.

The blood and yolk both absorb at the same time. If there is still some yolk- it should not be removed from the egg. What is left of the yolk sac could break open, apart from the yolk leaking out and therefore not going to the duckling- it can easily get infected and kill the duckling very quickly - especially in the humid conditions of an incubator. Is the membrane white looking - or can you see through it at all anywhere???

Back
Top Bottom