Duck eggs not hatched in almost 48 hours

Duckpip

🦆 Life is better with birds 🐔
May 23, 2022
Canada
Hello everyone, I have five duck eggs, they all pipped and so far three fluffy little babies have hatched! I'm starting to worry about the other two, though - It's been almost 48 hours and they still haven't came through their hole. Their pips have gotten bigger, but I know that duck eggs can sometimes have a hard time to hatch.

I'd appreciate any reassurance. Thanks!
-Duckpip

Last edited:
Yes, about two days ago.
It can take 78 hours for a duckling to hatch. What is your humidity at? If he is yawning or making a chewing chewing motions/sounds he is still absorbing the yolk. Does the membrane look white/light yellow or does it look dark yellow or brown and crusty?

It can take 78 hours for a duckling to hatch. What is your humidity at? If he is yawning or making a chewing chewing motions/sounds he is still absorbing the yolk. Does the membrane look white/light yellow or does it look dark yellow or brown and crusty?

The membrane does look light yellow, but on one of the eggs there's this odd darker ring going around it (I tried to add pictures, but my phone was glitching.) The same duckling with the odd egg is kind of moving up and down a bit, but that might just be him breathing/pecking at the shell.

I don't think my incubator is displaying humidity right now for some reason, but I filled their water chamber to the top, as you're supposed to do in lockdown. They did start pipping before lockdown, (the incubator's time was a few days off) and we had to rush to remove the tray and quickly place the eggs back in, but we did that very quickly, so I'm not sure if that's what's delaying their hatch.

The duck still in the egg looks like there's another piece of shell attached to his? He kind of looks like he might be making chewing motions with his beak, but I could be mistaken.
20220524_115535.jpg

1653410242873932100187.jpg

Back
Top Bottom