Duck eggs not pipped yet- day 29

Zenon

Hatching
Apr 20, 2021
This is my first post on here so if I've done something wrong please inform me.
I had 9 mallard duck eggs in my incubator. 2 of them pipped earlier than I expected, and both hatched on day 27. Another hatched on day 28 (yesterday) and one hatched today (day 29). One of the chicks bill was out of its egg, however it stopped moving after a while and it had died.
I lifted the incubator lid ONCE in order to get one of the ducklings out as it had wedged its self under part of it. I removed the dead chick today, and took the alive one and placed it in the brooder with the others.

However, there are 3 eggs left in the incubator that haven't externally pipped yet. I candled them to see if they were alive or not, and I saw no movement however their air sacs were all still intact, and it looks as though two of them had internally pipped. None of them smell, so I know they aren't decomposing yet. Do you think they still have a chance at hatching? When it is quiet I think I can hear the faintest chirps - however I don't trust my hearing at the moment as even while I was out I could hear it so part of me thinks I'm going crazy. I desperately hope the last 3 still have a chance, but I really don't know if they do.

Side info: this is my second time incubating eggs, first time incubating duck eggs. The first time I incubated eggs they were chicken eggs, I got 4/6 as I dropped one in early stages as someone rang me while I was candling (I now put my phone aroplane mode) and one simply did not hatch (I left It in the incubator for 5 days after, I was hoping it would hatch but my mother told me it was time to give up)

I think your eggs will still most likely hatch. When I hatched a couple duck eggs it took over 24 hours to go from internal to external pip. Mine also did not move very much during the internal pip. I think that they get very tired and rest in between making very much movement. Hang in there, I think your eggs still have a good chance of hatching. Good luck!!!!!!

I think your eggs will still most likely hatch. When I hatched a couple duck eggs it took over 24 hours to go from internal to external pip. Mine also did not move very much during the internal pip. I think that they get very tired and rest in between making very much movement. Hang in there, I think your eggs still have a good chance of hatching. Good luck!!!!!!
Thank you! I really hope so, I checked just now through the plastic and none looked like they had pipped so I'm probably only going to check every 5 hours or so, just before the lockdown I was told to change the water and replace it with warm water, should I do this again now or should I leave it?

I have only ever hatched eggs using a heat lamp, so I am not sure. Someone else on here should know the answer to your question though.

Back
Top Bottom