Duck eggs pipped on day 24- I'm new to this, help!

Kristen L

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
Hello everyone,

I'm Kristen and I am very new to this. I have been incubating 12 duck eggs (10 Cayuga, 2 Swedish) for the last 24 days. In the last two days the eggs have been rolling and wiggling a good amount. Today (day 24) one of the Swedish eggs has an external pip!
I have been really good with my research, I record the temperature and humidity levels every time I rotate the eggs since day 1 on a schedule and chart I have taped to the wall above the incubator. I have been rotating 5 times a day. Misting and cooling once per day. Temperature has been kept pretty consistent at about 37.5 celsius and 55% humidity. I'm using a small hovabator incubator.
Any advice would be so greatly appreciated! Do I start lockdown now? no more turning the eggs I assume. We were supposed to candle one last time tonight.

Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I'm Kristen and I am very new to this. I have been incubating 12 duck eggs (10 Cayuga, 2 Swedish) for the last 24 days. In the last two days the eggs have been rolling and wiggling a good amount. Today (day 24) one of the Swedish eggs has an external pip!
I have been really good with my research, I record the temperature and humidity levels every time I rotate the eggs since day 1 on a schedule and chart I have taped to the wall above the incubator. I have been rotating 5 times a day. Misting and cooling once per day. Temperature has been kept pretty consistent at about 37.5 celsius and 55% humidity. I'm using a small hovabator incubator.
Any advice would be so greatly appreciated! Do I start lockdown now? no more turning the eggs I assume. We were supposed to candle one last time tonight.

Thank you!

Hi!

How exciting! After the external pip ducks can take at least 72 hours to get out of the shell, however, after 48 hours, I like to widen the hole a tad if they aren't progressing any, but if you see any veins or if the ducklings are yawning set them back in the incubator and leave them be for a while. 50% seems a little too high, have you checked their air cells lately?

If they have externally pipped they should be in lockdown, no turning. This is a very helpful guide to go by-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Hi!

How exciting! After the external pip ducks can take at least 72 hours to get out of the shell, however, after 48 hours, I like to widen the hole a tad if they aren't progressing any, but if you see any veins or if the ducklings are yawning set them back in the incubator and leave them be for a while. 50% seems a little too high, have you checked their air cells lately?

If they have externally pipped they should be in lockdown, no turning. This is a very helpful guide to go by-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Thank you for the info, greatly appreciated. I read through the article, great advice in there. I hope I don't have to use it.
I friend suggested, as only 1 of the 12 eggs have an external pip, that I borrow her micro incubator and get the temp and humidity up and put that one pipped egg in there to lockdown that guy, and leave the others to continue to progress until day 26 when I lock the rest down. any thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom