Duck eggs soon to hatch?

Pics

Laurenfinn6

Chirping
Feb 19, 2020
So a little background on my situation... we live on a lake and a female Muscovy duck decided to lay eggs in the flower bed of our front yard. We noticed her 1st egg around January 10th. (This was clearly not when she started setting). Unfortunately an animal attacked momma duck in the night and we were heartbroken to find her the next morning. This happened February 16th. I now have 16 eggs in a homemade incubator. I’m assuming the ducks should be hatching within this week? I’m worried when I’m candling the duck eggs that they may be dead. There isn’t any movement in most of them. They don’t smell and seem bad. However a couple look like I can see the air sac outline on the shell? I will admit the humidity and temp hasn’t been perfect all of the time since having them. (I’ve had them since February 16. Can someone advise what I can do to ensure these eggs hatch?

So a little background on my situation... we live on a lake and a female Muscovy duck decided to lay eggs in the flower bed of our front yard. We noticed her 1st egg around January 10th. (This was clearly not when she started setting). Unfortunately an animal attacked momma duck in the night and we were heartbroken to find her the next morning. This happened February 16th. I now have 16 eggs in a homemade incubator. I’m assuming the ducks should be hatching within this week? I’m worried when I’m candling the duck eggs that they may be dead. There isn’t any movement in most of them. They don’t smell and seem bad. However a couple look like I can see the air sac outline on the shell? I will admit the humidity and temp hasn’t been perfect all of the time since having them. (I’ve had them since February 16. Can someone advise what I can do to ensure these eggs hatch?
How long was she sitting on them and when did you put them in the incubator?

Can you get a picture of a couple eggs while they are candled?
Muscovy take 35 days to hatch,
Have you hatched birds before?

i cant find a muscovy candling chart so imagine this one spread over 35 days instead of 28
933a5eb4d9faafcb7515148d8302e0e8.jpg

How long was she sitting on them and when did you put them in the incubator?

Can you get a picture of a couple eggs while they are candled?
Muscovy take 35 days to hatch,
Have you hatched birds before?

i cant find a muscovy candling chart so imagine this one spread over 35 days instead of 28View attachment 2030914
Hi thank you so much for responding I really appreciate it. I just tried to take some pictures but they aren’t coming out well at all. Going to buy a good flashlight. From what I see, they all look close to day 26 and day 28 from your picture. I did include a picture of the eggs. The two I circled I’m concerned about. I candles them and they seem “slushy” if that makes sense. Only a couple showed any movement. I don’t want to have bad eggs that will affect others but I also feel like my homemade incubator won’t do the job long enough to see hopefully one hatch:(

Attachments

• EB948B5A-DA37-4F7F-9172-838AD0E635DF.jpeg
    EB948B5A-DA37-4F7F-9172-838AD0E635DF.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 13
So sorry about momma duck! Can you take a picture of the eggs while you're candling them?
Just tried to take some pictures but they aren’t coming out well. Getting a flashlight and will post soon. From the picture that was posted above, they look like they are on day 26 or 28? Thanks for responding and yes I was heartbroken finding her :(

Hi thank you so much for responding I really appreciate it. I just tried to take some pictures but they aren’t coming out well at all. Going to buy a good flashlight. From what I see, they all look close to day 26 and day 28 from your picture. I did include a picture of the eggs. The two I circled I’m concerned about. I candles them and they seem “slushy” if that makes sense. Only a couple showed any movement. I don’t want to have bad eggs that will affect others but I also feel like my homemade incubator won’t do the job long enough to see hopefully one hatch:(
And to answer your questions, no I’ve never hatched before. Can’t say for sure when she started laying on the nest and not leaving.. felt like she was there for a long time. The eggs were probably left alone for not even a full 24 hrs. But again this homemade incubator has been tricky and the temperature has fluctuated to too low and also too high. :/

And to answer your questions, no I’ve never hatched before. Can’t say for sure when she started laying on the nest and not leaving.. felt like she was there for a long time. The eggs were probably left alone for not even a full 24 hrs. But again this homemade incubator has been tricky and the temperature has fluctuated to too low and also too high. :/

Attachments

• 263B7E67-9092-4C69-915B-9EA081490439.jpeg
    263B7E67-9092-4C69-915B-9EA081490439.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 0C2E6CC6-EBAF-49FA-B203-869F8F2ABE43.jpeg
    0C2E6CC6-EBAF-49FA-B203-869F8F2ABE43.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 13
Just tried to take some pictures but they aren’t coming out well. Getting a flashlight and will post soon. From the picture that was posted above, they look like they are on day 26 or 28? Thanks for responding and yes I was heartbroken finding her :(
Hi the first pic is the one I was a little concerned about. When candling the dark seems a little slushy if that makes sense. Second pic is the one who I saw movement from. Will I see movement at this stage? I only saw it in a couple out of 16 eggs.

Attachments

• 169867C4-3A18-4302-9BE4-E8A986B9FBDF.jpeg
    169867C4-3A18-4302-9BE4-E8A986B9FBDF.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 10
  • C7439815-CCBB-4F67-ABD9-8DB66090C2A5.jpeg
    C7439815-CCBB-4F67-ABD9-8DB66090C2A5.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 10
Hi the first pic is the one I was a little concerned about. When candling the dark seems a little slushy if that makes sense. Second pic is the one who I saw movement from. Will I see movement at this stage? I only saw it in a couple out of 16 eggs.
Right pic is the concerned egg. Left pic is the one I saw some movement in today

The first one looks normal to me. The second one looks ok too. Just try to maintain the 99.5 degrees and the 55-60 percent humidity. Can you buy an incubator from a farm store or order one?

Back
Top Bottom