Duck eggs soon to hatch?

Pics
As long as there are no external pips, go ahead. Post updates!
So I can see that 2 of them are trying to break through the shell. Hear, feel and see the tiny beaks poking at the shell. I’m so excited but nervous at the same time! Im worried about having those two hatch so much earlier than the others? The others have pipped internally (couldn’t see movement in 1 though :( and a really big pip) but I’m just wondering if you guys have removed ducklings from the incubator if they hatch well before the others? And do ducklings need a heat lamp over their pen?

if your going to a feed store get B vitamins too View attachment 2035237

No matter how many birds i hatch its so surreal to me that theres living things inside those eggs!

Ooh and as far as brands just get what they have they wont have many choices, if there isnt duck starter get chick starter, if none of that get Game bird starter. But theyll have duck starter :)
if your going to a feed store get B vitamins too View attachment 2035237

No matter how many birds i hatch its so surreal to me that theres living things inside those eggs!

Ooh and as far as brands just get what they have they wont have many choices, if there isnt duck starter get chick starter, if none of that get Game bird starter. But theyll have duck starter :)
Great thank you!!! And yes I agree it’s so surreal and exciting. Two of them are trying to break through the shell now! I’ll post pictures as the pipping progresses :)

So I can see that 2 of them are trying to break through the shell. Hear, feel and see the tiny beaks poking at the shell. I’m so excited but nervous at the same time! Im worried about having those two hatch so much earlier than the others? The others have pipped internally (couldn’t see movement in 1 though :( and a really big pip) but I’m just wondering if you guys have removed ducklings from the incubator if they hatch well before the others? And do ducklings need a heat lamp over their pen?
Ducklings can hatch 36 hours or more apart from each other
ive had a duckling hatch 48 hours before any of the others and all were healthy! that was a shock!

So when they hatch they will be wet and quivvering and sleep for several hours, itll take an hour or two before they dry and fluff up.
Let them rest and when they are up and energetic you can transfer to a brooder

A brooder for day olds should be lined with towels or puppy pads, You need a headlamp and a thermometer

With the thermometer laying in the brooder right under the lamp needs to be 90 to 95 degrees

The brooder should be big enough and the lamp oriented to theres a warm area and and outer cooler area, the ducklings will instictively move between the warm and cool area as they need it

A heat lamp is what @Jpat means. A headlamp probably wouldn't have the same effect. 😂 You can move them to the brooder about 6 afters after hatch. I don't leave them in. I personally think it's unnecessary and getting them walking around, drinking etc. is very important. Can't wait for babies!:celebrate

Ducklings can hatch 36 hours or more apart from each other
ive had a duckling hatch 48 hours before any of the others and all were healthy! that was a shock!

So when they hatch they will be wet and quivvering and sleep for several hours, itll take an hour or two before they dry and fluff up.
Let them rest and when they are up and energetic you can transfer to a brooder

A brooder for day olds should be lined with towels or puppy pads, You need a headlamp and a thermometer

With the thermometer laying in the brooder right under the lamp needs to be 90 to 95 degrees

The brooder should be big enough and the lamp oriented to theres a warm area and and outer cooler area, the ducklings will instictively move between the warm and cool area as they need it
Thank you for breaking this down in a great and easy to understand way. Is there any crucial part of the hatching that I should be present for? I know it’s supposed to just happen on its own, but in case there is something I could prevent along the way, I will. Also are pine shavings okay for day 1 olds? Or stick to the cloths and pads? Thank you :)

Yes heatlamp haha

So some simple brooder ideas
349d2bb4b15b28133b89539ebee7239f.jpg
4345231_orig.jpg
9780532_orig.jpg
f70a8ae5640322bcfb28c2b95356136c--chicken-coops-chicken-brooder-ideas.jpg
20200224_232722.jpg

My favorite heat bulbs are the ceramic ones that dont make light
Screenshot_20200224-232817_Samsung Internet.jpg

But red ones are good, Just make sure they are NOT teflon coated they are toxic
Chicken-Brooder-1-Bulb-LG.jpg

And a great little hack is an inline dimmer switch, you can turn the heat up or down with them instead lf trying to raise and lower the whole bulb!
989f2603-cdc5-4459-a335-dbc312591376_1.3d4aaf258c1eb63a9848943f41d5d6bf.jpeg.jpg

And one important thing is using a heatlamp safely, They get extremely hot and fires have been caused by heat lamps before

Attachments

• white-lutron-lamp-dimmer-cord-lut-ttlc-100h-wh__14223.1464222121.1280.1280.jpg
    white-lutron-lamp-dimmer-cord-lut-ttlc-100h-wh__14223.1464222121.1280.1280.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • make-this-simple-chicken-brooder-article.jpg
    make-this-simple-chicken-brooder-article.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 0
A heat lamp is what @Jpat means. A headlamp probably wouldn't have the same effect. 😂 You can move them to the brooder about 6 afters after hatch. I don't leave them in. I personally think it's unnecessary and getting them walking around, drinking etc. is very important. Can't wait for babies!:celebrate
LOL I figured. And okay great thanks for the tip:) counting down the hours! Well hours I’m assuming for the 2 eggs with that are moving right along. :)

They might eat the pine shavings, it's easy to monitor poop on the cloths or pads, and when they're ready to eat you can sprinkle some food on the towels and then they'll learn that's they're food. After about 5 days you can take up the towels and leave the shavings. They soil the brooder FAST! You'll have to clean it several times a day in a week or two.

Thank you for breaking this down in a great and easy to understand way. Is there any crucial part of the hatching that I should be present for? I know it’s supposed to just happen on its own, but in case there is something I could prevent along the way, I will. Also are pine shavings okay for day 1 olds? Or stick to the cloths and pads? Thank you :)
Use pine shavings after they are 4 or 5 days old, they wont be very messy for the first few days anyway

And no problem! Weve all had our first hatches and iam sure its the same for @MGG we just remember being nervous too

They might eat the pine shavings, it's easy to monitor poop on the cloths or pads, and when they're ready to eat you can sprinkle some food on the towels and then they'll learn that's they're food. After about 5 days you can take up the towels and leave the shavings. They soil the brooder FAST! You'll have to clean it several times a day in a week or two.
👍 :goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom