Duck eggs turning black? HELP! (pic)

I have two eggs in my batch that have started turning black and I'm reading that this is from bacteria entering the shell. Whenever I've had to handle the eggs I've washed my hands thoroughly, but I'm wondering if the hatched chicks could have caused this? Mine were left in the incubator until dry and while they didn't knock the other eggs around, they did snuggle up to one for rest. Not really a question, just looking on ways to improve in the future :)

The same thing is happening with my Indian runner eggs. I have no idea what it means. Are they rotten, dead or just about to hatch? It also crossed my mind that it may be too many eggs under one duck and they may be getting cold, the duck ( Indian Runner ) has 18 eggs under her, but nearly all the eggs have that dark shadowing apart from the eggs that were just laid, So I think I have come to the conclusion that it means they are about to hatch, only time will tell. Still I am open for suggestions/information about the dark shadows on the eggs.

Ive hatched ducks naturally, with a momma duck a few times, and the eggs do sometimes go like that near the very end, I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to affect hatching....

OH MY GOODNESS.... I went back out to my duck house and pulled out the dark and light egg you are all discussing in this thread and I found 3 more dark eggs, and today there was not air cell left to be seen when candling and OMG did they smell B-A-D. I cant get the stink out of my head and nose. I cracked them open.... PEWWWWH WEEEE. OH, and did I say they STUNK BAD, oh and did I also mention that the smell was discusting...
I was hoping they would hatch, like a couple of you mentioned your hatched.... but noooo, not mine. So sad. My 2 Buff that were sitting on the eggs are only 10mons old and this is their first time being broody... so i guess they didn't know to throw out the stinky eggs... i did it for them.

Last edited:
I use this sight a lot for advise and think its great. I have just opened one of these eggs that was discolouring, my thoughts are that they have pipped through a vein and the blood is the discolouration. I broke open an air hole for it (at a clear spot)and found it's beak. It still isn't ready to come out as there is blood veins still showing, (from what I've read they need to be able to move about and that's when the veins dry up, this one couldn't) so i have wrapped round about it in warm damp kitchen roll to keep it moist then slowly as the day progesses I'll take a bit more shell of so it can eventually wriggle free itself. Please note this has to be done VERY carefully as they can also bleed to death.

I have 26 eggs in an incubator that were all looking fine the other day. Now today, after the humidity getting to 60 cos the air sacs got to big too fast, I candled and found that almost all the eggs appear to have thick, black veins inside of them. They are due to hatch next thursday or friday so in 6-7 days. None stink yet. I broke one open I thought was dead, only to find a fully formed duck inside kicking his feet. The shells are a little darker so could those black veins I see really just be healthy veins showing up dark or are all my eggs infected with bacteria that my circulating fan blew around to all of them?

Back
Top Bottom