Duck eggs, unsure on day. Help.

If these eggs do hatch 🤞 would the be ok to go in with Donny or will there be too much of an age gap? (Not sure if it matters or not)

Thank you again for all you help
I’ve had success putting hatchlings with 2 week olds; anything beyond was too big of a size difference for me. It could be awhile until these eggs hatch, in which yes, it’d be best to put up a divider in the brooder, so they may see each other but not touch. I agree with BelovedBirds in getting Donny a mirror and / or a stuffed ducky! The mirror especially is super helpful :)

No problem at all!

So sorry to hear that. Candling daily is perfectly safe, as long as you're very careful not to drop them or anything like that, and don't have them out of the incubator too long if you do need to take them out to candle. And try to put them back in the same position so they aren't turned, if you aren't continuing to turn them.

I found it super helpful also, when I hatched my babies! What are you currently feeding Donny? Thats a good place to start, if you need any help there

they will probably be alright, if theres too much of a size differnece, they may have to be separate, but itd be nice if they could see eachother still, through a divide of some sort.
if you havent already, I reccomend giving Donny a little mirror, perhaps a plush toy also, it can help with loneliness with single ducklings, whenever we arent there. Makes them feel like they have another little duck there!

You're welcome! Hope this helps
I’ll carry on with the incubation for a little while then and candle every so often.

Donny’s currently on chick crumbs, I read they should be on this for the first couple of weeks?
He has 2 little mirrors and some cuddly toys and a little snuggly blanket in with him, he love cuddling up with the toy dog of all things 😂
He sure makes it known when he’s heard you come back in the house too! 😅
🤞🤞 he had a real sibling very soon

Just outta curiosity how did the mother look whenever you found her? Just killed over or mangled or??? Asking because I'm surprised if something killed her why didn't they take the eggs??
I think we must of disturbed whatever was happening, mumma duck was only recently gone, and 5 of the 11 eggs were broken. One of the broken eggs still had a little live duckling in but it died not long after so I assume it was a very recent kill 😢😢

Thank you for the advise,we have double checked that all is ok.

Ive attached photos of each egg (the best I can), and one of little Donny.

🤞
I have a Muscovy Duck right now sitting on a nest and about three times a week she still lays an egg. She throws it out of the nest though and I candle it to make sure it's not fertile or have any development in it and then we eat it. I don't know why she is still laying while she is so broody. I will know in a couple of weeks if any of the eggs are going to even hatch. They might all be duds but time will tell. Good luck with the rest of your eggs. I have Mallards and they can fly very well. Mine came from Metzer Farms in California that I got about three years ago. They are great egg layers and one was a good Momma duck but her sister was not.

I’ll carry on with the incubation for a little while then and candle every so often.

Donny’s currently on chick crumbs, I read they should be on this for the first couple of weeks?
He has 2 little mirrors and some cuddly toys and a little snuggly blanket in with him, he love cuddling up with the toy dog of all things 😂
I leave my ducklings on unmedicated duckling crumbles for 6 weeks and they do really good. I would go longer than 2 weeks for little Donnie and if the crumbles you are giving him are for chickens you might need to give him some niacin for strong legs. Chicken feed usually does not have enough of that in it for them but since he is a more lightweight duck he may do just fine on it. The bigger heavier ducks need it for sure. Good luck with him.

Chick crumb is perfectly okay, but I highly recommend supplementing it with nutritional yeast to correct the niacin levels. 1 tbsp per 1 cup of feed should be okay.
I managed to raise my ducks from hatch to adulthood on chick crumb, right up until swapping to adult feed. With supplementation to give them what they needed. (Nutritional yeast, and oats as well once they had access to grit) Duckling feed simply wasn't an option for me where I live

Good morning.

Unbelievably, these eggs are still going. I’ve checked this morning tho and found this (picture included). I too. The egg out, wiped it and there’s no crack and the duckling is still moving?!? What the heck is going on 🫣😅

Attachments

• IMG_3331.jpeg
    IMG_3331.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom