Duck eggs

I have two Rouen females and both have the tendency to go broody. The first one shared a nest with my crested duck. Their nest was only 6 eggs that they shared. The second Rouen’s nest was 11 eggs. One was an excellent mother the other was not despite being a tenacious broody. The only helpful advice I can offer is as the hatch day approaches separate the male from the nest. While the males I had were very protective of the nesting females, they invariably tried to kill the ducklings.

I have two Rouen females and both have the tendency to go broody. The first one shared a nest with my crested duck. Their nest was only 6 eggs that they shared. The second Rouen’s nest was 11 eggs. One was an excellent mother the other was not despite being a tenacious broody. The only helpful advice I can offer is as the hatch day approaches separate the male from the nest. While the males I had were very protective of the nesting females, they invariably tried to kill the ducklings.
Yes, I heard that the Male could kill the ducklings. Will separate when it gets closer, right now she still isnt nesting after laying 16 eggs. I'm beginning to think she may not lay on them at all.

Back
Top Bottom