Duck Eggs

henjoy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
Hi everybody, I am quite new to ducks though I've had chickens for a few years. Anyway, I've got questions and I'm sure that someone has answers. First, I have a pair of runner ducks and a pair of call ducks. They are housed separately. My questions mainly concern the runner ducks who are free ranging with my chickens. I am finding an unusual egg in my lowest nest box. It is white (I have brown egg laying hens) and big. Could it be a duck egg? Do ducks lay in nest boxes? Also, since I don't have a pond, I've filled a pool for the runner ducks and built steps for them to get into the pool. They are going round and round trying to get in, I think, but seem not to notice the steps. Will they eventually catch on? I tried to put them in, but they just rushed out as they are not tame and didn't appreciate being held. What else should I try? The calls have a pool also, but discovered how to get in right away. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

"Big and white" sure sounds like a duck egg to me!
big_smile.png
Ducks will lay just about anywhere that's comfortable, and if they can reach a cozy nest box they will be quite happy.

As for the pool, I'd probably just give them some more time. I have a kiddie pool for mine and they climb right over the edge to get in and out. I did put some steps for them (logs split lengthwise) and sometimes they use them, sometimes they don't. I've found that if they really want to get in the water they will find a way -I've had to fence off my raised waterlily pond because of the tenacious little buggers.
roll.png

And just because I love duckies, how about some pics?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks mlhern, for the info. I just got a new digital camera and am trying to learn to use it and post pics. In the meantime, the runners are fawn and white--Java and Mocha, by name. The calls are Taylor and Jewel, named by my grandchildren and are mallard. Thanks again.

I've got 4 runner ducks and a kiddie pool. I finally built a dirt ramp sort of mound against one side so they would file up and over into the water. But they took a few days of me putting them in and them flapping wildly to get out before they started to do it themselves.

I don't know about yours but mine don't like change or anything different...takes them a while to adjust.

Mine haven't started to lay yet but it should be soon I'm thinking.

Julie
smile.png

Mine also figured out how to get in after a while. I use a large flattish stone. They went round and round, didn't like being picked up to be put in, we tried teasing them in with grasshoppers, etc. Slowly they figured it out, one by one. It seems almost accidentally ... they would just step up there and find themselves in the pool. Now they realize it's a step, and will use it on purpose if they need to, but usually they can climb in/out now.

If they are avoiding the steps completely, you might want to try something more natural-looking, if the visual of the steps bothers them. Not sure what yours look like. The thing about the rock that worked in their favor was, in going round and round, they would sometimes step up on it (though often they avoided it) and it was in the attempting to get in here and there that they FINALLY tried while ON the rock that let them in. It only took a few days really.

I think mlheran said it best ... if they really want to get in water, they WILL find a way!
lau.gif

Now I have to go make a post about duck eggs; I was going to check yours first to see if someone had asked what I need to know. Enjoy your ducks!

trish

Back
Top Bottom