duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by baxtersbeauties, Apr 13, 2009.

1. baxtersbeauties

baxtersbeauties Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    Stoneville NC
    are duck eggs good to eat

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yes. And I hear they are excellent for baking.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

well, our swedish ducks just started laying, 2 yesterday, 3 today!!! (though i dropped one...), and my husband and son refuse to eat them... I snuck one into cornbread, and nobody noticed... til I said something, and then both guys refused to eat it... my girls however, have been asking for scrambled eggs (1 duck, 2 chicken), they think duck eggs are awesome!!! My duck eggs are the same size as my smaller chicken eggs, and the whites are totally clear, where my chicken egg whites are a bit yellowish... seem to bake the same..

4. chicken parm

chicken parm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    I have pekin ducks and I hard boil the eggs, scramble and make omlets with them. also use when baking. they are very good! most people are squimish about them, if you don't tell them they won't know. add some cheese to them. I have found frying them is the only way that doesn't go over well, to rubbery due to the higher protien in them.

5. When you scramble them add a tablespoon of milk per egg so they are more moist. I heard they work real well for stuffed eggs because the whites hold up better.

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh yes... MUCH richer in taste then chicken eggs... excellent for thickness in baking too.... I occasionally use them in my cookies and biscotti. Mmmmmmmm

7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Well, despite having had ducks for years, I have never been a "duck egg" person. Something just creeped me out about eating them. That was until this last summer. I spent the summer in Thailand and did not find out until the very end that I had been eating duck eggs all summer, LOL (Quail eggs too, but those are easy to spot). [​IMG]

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Duck eggs are the best for baking. l like the flavour of the muscovey eggs but not the khaki campbell eggs for fried eggs. Still can't work out why the flavour seems so different.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  10. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    UNBELIEVABLY good for baking!

Our Pekin just started laying about a month ago, and we've been experimenting with her eggs in various baked goods since. The three pounds I've gained since will attest to the fact that our experiments have been an unqualified success!

I don't think I'll ever use a chicken egg in a cake again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by