Duck eggtopsy help please (graphic) 1 of 5

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
Attempted to incubate five duck eggs. All failed. We'll link to the original thread here later, for brand and style. This is the first duck egg, age 31 days 4 hours.

16053752749151641815417001596676.jpg

A dark Ring Around The Edge of the air sac. As well as a darkened Mass which I assumed to be waste from the chick.

Membrane is tan brown in color. Did not seem to be excessively pressurized. Neither had it shrunk wrapped the embryo. Accidentally pierced while removing some of the shell.
16053755553277756439929984120926.jpg

Inside is a brown liquid, some yellowish pits, a green tinge, and a brown Mass with no clearly identifiable features.
16053757325203319087624227690774.jpg

I have, thankfully, substantially no sense of smell. Imagine it's not good. Assumption this embryo failed very early in incubation due to bacterial infection, would more experienced members agree? and if so, likely compromised my other eggs, based on proximity - though I had one or two empty spaces between each egg, I did not put them down in order, and can't support or refute the last assumption.

@MGG can I get that promised assist??? Five separate posts, for the five different eggs.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of years to get used to the loss. Every once in awhile, it's actually an advantage.
My roommate cant smell good things, but somehow the bad things always get through. The worst way to have that issue.

The mushy ones look like they died very early. Im not familiar enough with development but could they have been unfertilized and that's just 40 days of bacterial development? Egg 2 is the one I'm most interested in since it died late.

The mushy ones look like they died very early. Im not familiar enough with development but could they have been unfertilized and that's just 40 days of bacterial development? Egg 2 is the one I'm most interested in since it died late.

Given how busy my Drake is, and how much squawking my girls do, I'd be very surprised if any were unfertilized. They are new to the whole process, we had just stopped getting double yolks maybe a week before, but I am currently leaning towards bacterial compromise in one egg, which then spread to others early in the process. I had washed the eggs in the mannapro solution for that purpose (egg wash), but perhaps did something wrong along the way, or something got in before I got to it.

Subsequent to these eggs going in the incubator, our ducks have dropped a few eggs that had a greenish fast to the yolks when we went to use them for breakfast. We disposed of same and moved on - so the moms themselves might be the source. No eggs at all the past week or more from the ducks, so i can't even be confident of that suspicion.

Back
Top Bottom