Duck egg help! Pipped egg

Michellel35

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2023
I am new to the chicken/duck farming. I have a neighbor that their duck laid eggs on my property and was sitting on them I did not notice they were there until I was cleaning up around the tree one day and from then they were there for days. So I’m not sure at what point the eggs were laid or how long they were there before I found them .about a week later, the neighbor comes on my property and takes their duck which is fine. I wasn’t trying to keep their duck. I have five of my own. They, however, did not take the eggs and never came back for them so I candled them and saw that three were fertilized and already processed. There were embryos heartbeats everything so I went and bought an incubator and put those three in the incubator. I was not sure how far along these eggs were and went to candle them today and found one is pit, and I am mediately put it back in the incubator cause I know once it’s pipped i know you don’t open the incubator, but I had already pulled it out. It was out maybe four or five seconds not long at all will the baby be fine?

Last edited:
A few moments outside the incubator shouldn't be long enough to do any real harm, especially if you're using a forced air incubator (because the humidity and temps usually return to normal quickly). Is the humidity at around 70% in the incubator? If it's lower, I would try to raise it since it sounds like at least one egg should be hatching soon.

Best of luck!

A few moments outside the incubator shouldn't be long enough to do any real harm, especially if you're using a forced air incubator (because the humidity and temps usually return to normal quickly). Is the humidity at around 70% in the incubator? If it's lower, I would try to raise it since it sounds like at least one egg should be hatching soon.

Best of luck!
It is a still air incubator but I have temp at 99 and I had a feeling I was getting close so I have a bowl of water in there so Tempe humidity has been between 78-83% I haven’t seen it go any lower. There’s only 2 viable of the 3, one didn’t make it. But both have been thriving. I believe their not far from each other hatch wise.

Remember that even if they were under a broody, she will leave the nest on occasion and come back.
Don’t panic. I’m sure you did no harm, and wish you all the best ❤️
Unfortunately, they locked her away for the night and the next day as well and we had a cold front come through so I knew they wouldn’t survive out there alone and since then I’m not sure what they’ve done with them because I haven’t seen them since. they used to be free range. Maybe they got tired of chasing them everywhere

I’m sorry for the broody momma- but...
You have them in your ‘’bator so you are now in charge.
I’d personally crank it up to 99.5*
70+ % humidity if you haven’t already gone into “proper lockdown”
(Humidity more important than temp IMO but both are relevant....)
Mark the top as they rest, so you have a reference point if they are wobbling / trying to position themselves for hatching.

You may end up wanting to add some safety holes.... if you are inclined to assist should things start to slow down.
I’m no pro. Full disclaimer. I’m watching duck eggs in my bator tonight as well 😂 best of luck- please let us know how things turn out!

Update the egg in question hatched this morning. I have one more I’m waiting on it has pipped now just waiting for the zip
IMG_9162.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom