Duck emergency! Need help fast!

JulieHei

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
Duck suddenly vomited up three slugs and had runny white poop. She laid down with her feet behind and tried to press a lot! She did press so much that her intestins almost came out, but they didn’t. I put her in a big tub of water and now she seems a bit better. But her feet are straight behind her in the water, almost like she is paralyzed in the feet! I felt in her cloac and i could NOT feel an egg at all, so i don’t think she is egg bound. Maybe something with her gizzard, or something she ate? Or something with her intestines? Have given her activated charcoal. How much should i try to give? Anything else I can give her?

Is she alert and active? Good call on the charcoal, I'm not sure how much to give though... I have some on hand here in capsule form in case any of my own animals eat something bad.

You can try giving her a warm bath with some epsom salts in it, just don't let her drink the water as it can dehydrate her. It will help with any inflammation. Keep her isolated in a crate or something similar, and warm.

Thanks guys 😊 She is completely normal now. When we first tried to help her we thought she had an egg stuck, so we gave her olive oil in her cloaca. We soon discovered it was not that, but I think the olive oil made her feathers lose their waterproof abilities? Now every time she tried to wash herself in the water, she gets very wet. Any suggestions on what we could do to help her? It’s starting to get very rainy and cold here this time of year..

Duck suddenly vomited up three slugs and had runny white poop. She laid down with her feet behind and tried to press a lot! She did press so much that her intestins almost came out, but they didn’t. I put her in a big tub of water and now she seems a bit better. But her feet are straight behind her in the water, almost like she is paralyzed in the feet! I felt in her cloac and i could NOT feel an egg at all, so i don’t think she is egg bound. Maybe something with her gizzard, or something she ate? Or something with her intestines? Have given her activated charcoal. How much should i try to give? Anything else I can give her?
Ascarins maybe. My duck quacked a lot with slug parasites. I did prazquintal and pyrantel palmotate

Back
Top Bottom