DUCK EMERGENCY: watery smelly poop.

Catinlondros

Hatching
Nov 12, 2016
(I APOLOGISE FOR MY BROKEN ENGLISH)
It is a Muscovy duck (6yrs old), and has normal weight though I think she has presented stomach problems. She acts normal (eats grass, lettuce and insects) but about a couple of months ago she had an episode in which she "threw up" a lot of food; i had to give her some vitamins and other medicines to stabilise her. Since then, i have to give her really powdery-like crushed corn as she usually choked up with it. About a week ago, she started to make really watery poop, there is almost no solid elements in it and day after day it started to get darker and darker (now is dark green and sometimes is black but i think thats because we have a blackberry tree near her place). She also has like a saggy bottom though her walk looks normal. I touched her bottom area and it is not hot, i cannot feel an egg (so i dont think she is egg bound but i dont know really).
Today her poop smells like decomposed fish and im terrified cuz i dont know what to do (we dont have many duck veterinarians here and i have no place to go). I haven't given her anything as i don't want to screw it up.

Thank u for your help :(

welcome-byc.gif
No need to apologize your English is fine. I am sorry, but I don't have an answer to your problem. It does sound as if she has some sort of digestive or reproductive tract problem.

Hi there!
She is not really fond of eating new things (i've tried to give her different types of vegetables but she only likes lettuce, and sometimes eats cucumber or field pumpkin). And yes, she eats crushed corn almost all day long (though I try to add different things such as oat). She free ranges and eats grass and a diversity of insects, but i have a cat so sometimes she eats his food too.

In Chile we are in spring but she ahsnt laid any eggs (the same happened last year and ye only laid a really weird one, the size of a marble. Maybe is that?

It kinda sounds like your duck is the type mentioned towards the beginning of the link I posted. The poster says, "Veggies with more carbs, like...corn, should be limited in order to maintain good health in your ducks. I've known some ducks to become demanding when it comes to veggies and will refuse to eat their feed. A small treat everyday is better than heaping piles."

Also, "feeding veggies with a high water level, like lettuce, will make your duck's poop waterier than normal. It may seem like diarrhea."

I'm learning a lot from this link. I didn't know onions could cause diarrhea and even vomiting in ducks!

Oh, I hope is just that. I'll try to control her diet a little bit so i know for sure is just a digestive thing and nothing more.
Thank you so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom