Duck enclosure under the deck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Funsizeracing, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Funsizeracing

Funsizeracing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    I have a shaded area under my deck that would be easy to predator proof and run electric to in the winter. Do you think my pekin would be happy with her pond and house under there or do you think she'd like more sunshine? Opinions please and thank you. She doesn't get here until the 12th of May. I've considered about 50 different set-ups so I need some opinions.
    I've had so many questions and the community here is so great about answering!

2. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    One thing I've noticed is that my ducks spend a lot of time by their "house". What this meant for us when they were in a makeshift brooder/coop setup by our front door is that there was poop all over our walkway! I was so happy when we set up a coop across the yard, now they only come by the house when they're hungry (picture the Storming of the Bastille). I like to keep them farrrrrr from my house but that's me. I'm sure the lack of sun would be ok for a feathered duck, as long as she gets to be out too... Imagine all the delicious bugs she would find under the deck... yumm!

3. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I would definitely set it up. Even if you only use it part of the time it would be worth the trouble. You could always use it for mother ducks and babies later.

4. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Are you getting more than one duck? One duck will be very, very lonely by itself.

I think under the deck is a great idea. I'm considering putting our turkeys under our deck (we have a full walk out basement) because I want them separated from our chickens.

5. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:yes VERY lonely..

6. stoneeater

stoneeater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    My chicken coop is under the my back porch. They really like it during the day when it's hot out. It stays nice and cool under there.

7. bettynoodlees

bettynoodlees Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    I think you need another duck also...

Besides that, I must say- I wouldn't be able to stand the smell of having my ducks under the porch. If you enjoy spending time on youtr deck- put your duck house somewhere else- because on any day that is hot or wet or humid ... you will be able to smell duck poo. [​IMG] And having it under the deck would make it anywhere from hard to almost impossible to clean.

8. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Quote:I agree. If you want to sit out there in the heat of the summer it's probably going to stink. And people walking around above your duck might freak them out.

9. Just give it up and let them live in your house with you. [​IMG]

10. grammypam

grammypam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Oronoco,Minnesota
    Totally agree about the stink. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by