Duck eye infection help

lassira

Chirping
Sep 17, 2013
Salem, or
Ok duck folks..... I took on a special needs type duck this last winter. He has never been able to properly oil himself. I am hoping this summers molt will help but he has always looked a mess. Now he is wheezing a little and his left eye looks infected. I removed the junk off his eye and his eye seemed to bug him and looked a little foggy. I have a vet appt for him but until then I'm giving him a clean tub bath and spraying the eye with vetrycin. Does anyone have experience with any of this and advice?

Ok duck folks..... I took on a special needs type duck this last winter. He has never been able to properly oil himself. I am hoping this summers molt will help but he has always looked a mess. Now he is wheezing a little and his left eye looks infected. I removed the junk off his eye and his eye seemed to bug him and looked a little foggy. I have a vet appt for him but until then I'm giving him a clean tub bath and spraying the eye with vetrycin. Does anyone have experience with any of this and advice?
Sounds to me like he may have a respiratory issue going on...I have a drake who gets an occasional foamy eye if the pools aren't out due to cold weather (he won't blow his nares out in a pail of water, apparently), but it clears up as soon as he can take a bath.

The vet visit sounds like a good move. For eye infections, I keep Terramycin ophthalmic ointment on hand and it's worked well, but it seems like your drake may need treatment for more than just his eye.

Hope your special duck is better soon!

Back
Top Bottom