Duck eye infection

Thanks! My friends think I'm crazy for spending all that on a duck...lol I do too, but it's done now. She's in our kitchen recuperating away from the rest of the flock-eating and drinking a little. Every time I look at her she opens her beak-I don't know if she is trying to hiss at me because she's angry/upset or whether she is trying to quack-she has never hissed at me in her life! Can't really blame her though she's been messed about such a lot. I have to try and give her medication twice a day as well but other than that it's easy to care for her. She's doing incredibly well really.

Have to go back to the vets for him to check her in a week and then she can go back in with the others and back to normal :) Thank you again for your help and support!

Thanks! My friends think I'm crazy for spending all that on a duck...lol I do too, but it's done now. She's in our kitchen recuperating away from the rest of the flock-eating and drinking a little. Every time I look at her she opens her beak-I don't know if she is trying to hiss at me because she's angry/upset or whether she is trying to quack-she has never hissed at me in her life! Can't really blame her though she's been messed about such a lot. I have to try and give her medication twice a day as well but other than that it's easy to care for her. She's doing incredibly well really.

Have to go back to the vets for him to check her in a week and then she can go back in with the others and back to normal :) Thank you again for your help and support!
You did what you felt was right to do. That's all that matters. I am happy for you that she is doing so good after such an ordeal. I'm sure she would rather be left alone but giving meds is part of the healing so you do what you have to do.

Thanks so much for the update I look forward to hearing how well she is doing in the days ahead. @jools2014

Update-Been to vets just for a check up-everything is fine and healing well and she is now back in with the others. I kinda miss having her in the house-she was really good and it was actually quite easy to give her the medication-she was so well behaved. Fingers crossed everything should now be fine-the vet thought it was probably a thorn or something sharp that had done it-not the drake. So that is a relief too. Possibly she did it when I had her out to free range the day I noticed it-maybe caught it on a blackberry bush, that's the only thing I can think of. Anyway-all is good now, it must've been very painful for her when she did it, but she is now much better :)

Update-Been to vets just for a check up-everything is fine and healing well and she is now back in with the others. I kinda miss having her in the house-she was really good and it was actually quite easy to give her the medication-she was so well behaved. Fingers crossed everything should now be fine-the vet thought it was probably a thorn or something sharp that had done it-not the drake. So that is a relief too. Possibly she did it when I had her out to free range the day I noticed it-maybe caught it on a blackberry bush, that's the only thing I can think of. Anyway-all is good now, it must've been very painful for her when she did it, but she is now much better :)
Great news @jools2014.. They sure are amazing.
woot.gif

Question did the vet sew the eye shut?

Great news @jools2014.. They sure are amazing.
woot.gif

Question did the vet sew the eye shut?
Thanks! Yes he did sew it shut with dissolvable stitches so nothing to do now except keep it in check in case it starts to swell or any other warning signs. Thankfully I have never seen her scratch it or anything so all should continue to heal ok. Good job I took her to the vet instead of trying to treat her with eye drops! Wouldn't have worked at all. Some guy at the vets couldn't believe I had a taken a duck to the vet, must admit it's pretty embarassing-I have never seen anyone else take a duck or a chicken to the vet! But I'm so glad I did despite the expense-seems a bit of a grey area in regard to treating poultry and waterfowl-I guess most would just cull? obviously if you had a massive flock you couldn't take every one to the vets. They are pets for me though so they deserve vet treatment!

Last edited:
Thank you I will try what you suggested. Guess I am lucky to even have an Avian vet. I am just glad I didn't go and get 30 birds otherwise I would be at the vet every week.

It's not likely she has been pecked as she is one of my older ducks and they have always got on well with the chickens, never any injuries-though it is possible one of my new ducks did something (was a mistake getting any more).

Of course I will take her to the vet Tuesday, I know I have a responsibility I just didn't see them being THIS much trouble (more the chickens than the ducks), don't worry I have learnt my lesson and will never have any more. I have realised I don't have the personality to deal with all this stress and worry. I am still getting problems with rats getting into the pen (don't even get me started on that) so I have just reached my limit. Thanks for the advice x

Since you feel so strongly about this why not after you get her well work on getting them new forever homes and then maybe you can make amends with your family and your stress will be down. OR
maybe you can share your set up and what you feed what they live in and on and maybe we can help you avoid any more sickness or injuries. or at least get them down some. I am very sorry your having to go through this with your flock.
Thank you I will try what you suggested. Guess I am lucky to even have an Avian vet. I am just glad I didn't go and get 30 birds otherwise I would be at the vet every week.

It's not likely she has been pecked as she is one of my older ducks and they have always got on well with the chickens, never any injuries-though it is possible one of my new ducks did something (was a mistake getting any more).

Of course I will take her to the vet Tuesday, I know I have a responsibility I just didn't see them being THIS much trouble (more the chickens than the ducks), don't worry I have learnt my lesson and will never have any more. I have realised I don't have the personality to deal with all this stress and worry. I am still getting problems with rats getting into the pen (don't even get me started on that) so I have just reached my limit. Thanks for the advice x
I had a huge rat problem and I suggest you get Contrapest. It's rat contraceptive. It's safe for all other pets. They just don't reproduxe.

I’m hoping someone might read this. Our nearest vet that will treat our ducks is about 2 hours away. I do have Polycin ophthalmic ointment; I also have Mupirocin ointment, and I have a triple antibiotic ointment as well. I have an all drake flock 4 in total. Their house has been split in half and 2 drakes live in one half and 2 in the other half, mainly because of their ages and how they get along. Each side has their own pool; however with the mating season upon us and these longer spring and summer days my drakes are going insane. One drake, Chocolate, Indian Runner, has practically removed most of my Mallard, Half-pint’s feathers along his neck and one side of his upper torso and today my husband noticed that Half-pint had a little gash above his eye from Chocolate. The other two Frankie & Johnnie will misbehave and one will try mounting the other, which usually I stop when I see it about to occur, except I missed it yesterday evening and stopped it midway through. With Frankie & Johnnie the worst they’ve endured is Frankie must’ve sprang his foot about 2 weeks ago, I did the epsom soak twice daily and wrapped it. Then Johnny started this week but he’s had a bad limp, which I think he may have had a little fracture, so I soak his feet in Epsom salts 2-3x a day and then I wrap it with petvet non-adhesive tape with a little q-tip on each side for more

Attachments

• 31C925D1-D014-4A6C-B42C-C88C4272BB54.jpeg
    31C925D1-D014-4A6C-B42C-C88C4272BB54.jpeg
    880 KB · Views: 1
  • 34829ED1-1BD8-4294-B36C-3ED200839528.jpeg
    34829ED1-1BD8-4294-B36C-3ED200839528.jpeg
    600.1 KB · Views: 1
  • FBB3D39A-9DBB-4C15-BFAD-889D55A87BAF.jpeg
    FBB3D39A-9DBB-4C15-BFAD-889D55A87BAF.jpeg
    661.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 553858DE-4F37-4866-A232-816C9E2BE5D7.jpeg
    553858DE-4F37-4866-A232-816C9E2BE5D7.jpeg
    810.7 KB · Views: 2
I would go with the Polycin since it's for treating the eyes. You can use a saline rinse to clean the cut. You might want to split the space 4 ways instead of 2 during the worse of hormone season. Sounds like Half-pint is getting the raw end of the deal.
@ruthhope and @thumper650 have drake flocks and might be able to give advice.

Back
Top Bottom