Duck eye injury

fifenashia

Songster
May 15, 2011
Eastern Kentucky
Hey all, I have 2 male ducks (CayugaXPekin) approximately 1 year old or so. The one male is obviously more dominant then the other and I noticed they started fighting more frequently resulting in an pretty gross eye injury.

I checked on him today and it looks like the mean one is getting more aggressive on that eye resulting in the what I think is a complete loss of the eye.

We put some bacitracin on it but I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions on what else to do for him to help the eye or reduce the aggression?

I can't really speak for the aggression, but I had a pair of boy ducks back when I was a middle schooler. One was a Pekin, one was a Swedish Blue. Jimmy (the Pekin) got attacked by something one night, and when I went out to put them in, the black figure dropped Jimmy from it's mouth. I thought for sure he was dead, limp there on the ground, but he picked himself up slowly. He couldn't hold his head up, had holes through his neck, and his eye had been 'removed' by the animal's teeth. He was bleeding a lot, but I washed him up, slathered the wounds with antibiotic ointment (even on the eye socket [I thought it was the right thing to do...even though I was like 11]). He was surprisingly still alive the next day, but the flies were a problem. So, I then took a little girl's silky sock, cut a hole in the end for his beak, and a hole for his good eye. He could see, eat/drink, and the flies couldn't get to his wound. He healed up fine and just couldn't see out of one eye.

Maybe something similar could be done for your duck so he can heal up, but I don't know about if the other mean duck will just repeat it again. My ducks were best buds, so I'm not used to that.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I am going to get another pool for them so they dont have to share. A friend mentioned getting some ladies but I am really out of room for more large breed ducks. Especially to have enough girls for the boys to be......satisfied I guess?
roll.png

you might have to get rid of one ... my boys just started fighting but i need more females for them i know but i just never had time for it ..... and for the eye injure im not sure what to do maybe just keep cleaning it up and see if it heals im not sure what to do i never had this happen .. i have a duckling that got pecked by his eye the skin is like tore up and a chunk missing and a part of the skin is covering a bit of his eye but i think he should be okay

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I kept my injured duck separated from the rest in a temporary pen in my garage. He didn't have access to water deep enough to dunk his head in. I'm not sure if that was the best thing to do. I would think that the water could get easily contaminated and infect his eye, but on the other hand it could wash it out more often as long as it was clean water.

I just gave him a chick waterer and he healed fine. But I suppose do whatever you think is best.
smile.png

I have 4 hens and 2 female ducks...and then ended up with a male duck who was harassing one of the chickens. She got the better of him and he has an eye injury. What do I use on it? I though I could use my dog prescription ointment but saw somewhere else not to do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

This is bill he is my large Pekin drake... he started by having like a yellow infection than this now both eyes and I’m so scared for him. He’s a outside duck so me getting him washed up won’t happen he freaks out any help anyone???

Attachments

• E26441C1-F8A8-4B5A-A450-F1DED43B63D9.jpeg
    E26441C1-F8A8-4B5A-A450-F1DED43B63D9.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom