Duck Feed alternative?

Quote:
Yes our domestic muscovies have free run of the farm and can go to the creek also.

We feed our young ducks & geese, duck starter, then duck grower, then grower/cracked corn and when they are almost grown are then on straight corn. They can also pickup oats that the cattle or buffalo drop from the feeders but they seem to prefer corn.

That would have been good info to include in your post when you said you fed them corn only. A lot of backyard flock owners don't have a yard that can support the varied diet that a duck needs, and that's why you see people telling others not to feed them just corn.

Your ranch is impressive, and I get a great deal of pleasure looking at the pictures of your land and your animals. It's awe inspiring. I wish however that when you're giving advice to other people you would consider what their particular set up is like.
hugs.gif

Thanks everybody. Sounds like they'll be fine with a basic feed and grains. I wish I could just let them free range, because I have 6-8 months of 18 acres of ankle to waist deep water full of emersive and submersive plants. Plus all sorts of bugs and water critters a duck could want. It all depends on how much rain we get. If I can train them to go into at the coop at night, it would be perfect. I'd just have to get an auto coop door ($$ <sigh>).

Swamp (I'm not kidding!)

Quote:
All my ducks free range. I put them in pen at night. You can teach them to go in at night very easy. I feed my ducks once a day. At night. When I come out at night with the grain they come a runnin'. Which by the was sounds hilarious.
lau.gif
They all come in and eat their fill then bed down for the night.

That is just the problem. I don't have any animals that I have to deal with at any given time of day. Not my cup of tea. Also when I go out of town it is a bit much to ask of people to be at the house at "X" time. With the exception of the dog, all of my animals can be left to their own devices for a few days. I plan on setting up a kennel for the dog so I can be gone for a couple of days to solve that problem too. While I do and enjoy checking food, water, removing eggs, and the like a couple of times a day, I've set the farm up so I am not shackled. I would rather just pen the ducks and be done with it if I had go lock them up right before dark every day. The question is, will they put themselves away?

Swamp

P.S. I just reread that and it kinda sounds like I'm yelling. Not what I meant. Sorry. Guess I'm still ticked about the possum last night. Chickens went nuts as I went to bed, so I went out to find out too see what was going on. Now I know why the coop door has been wide open so much. Bloody possum figured it out. Lucky I heard it, chicken feathers everywhere, but no real damage. 12 ga. trumps possum, gator bait now. Bad thing is that I let him lay last night, and something else tried to pull HIM through the wire! Time for the trap. Gators are gonna get fat. Grumble! Grumble! Again, sorry if I sounded hostile, you are trying to help. Thanks.

Last edited:
I realize to each their own, but I could not begin to imagine leaving my animals, let alone a dog, for several days without anyone checking in on them.
Personally, I believe that "farm" and "shackled" are synonymous although that wouldn't be my choice of words.

Good luck.

i treat my ducks the same as the chickens, the babies get fed 14% hog mash until they are several months old, then gradually move them into cracked corn and scratch grains. The going price around here for all three of those is under $8 per item at the feed mill. The older adults get some layer rations with the laying hens, occasionally they get treated to some fresh fruit and veggie scraps. People can say what they want but I feed all my birds primarily cracked corn and scratch and don't have any problem with them on that, nor do I have problem with my layers or hatching chicks. My best advise is to read all the advise, try what you think will work best, if you're not satisfied then change to something else. Good luck!

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, If I'm gone more than one night someone checks up on everything. Things can and will go wrong. I wouldn't leave my dog without a check (ball throwing, good scratching, etc.) for a "few" days either. I still won't be shackled by my farm, there is more to me than that. To each their own. Good luck to you as well, these days we can all use it I expect.

Thanks again everyone.

Swamp

Quote:
Yes that's my point they will put themselves away. But they have to be trained. I normally feed just before dark and lock them in their pen. I am not shackled to my "farm" (some ducks and chickens not much a farm). I own my own business and have friends too. I can come home any time after dark and all the ducks will be in their pen waiting for me. So if you had an automatic door I think they would go in after you trained them. Mine do not go in a coop. They very seldom seek shelter. 10" of snow on the ground now and the foolish things spent most of the day in the creek. Maybe a pen with a covered portion would work better for you - rig up an auto door on the pen. Definitely cheaper than building a coop. Try them out and see what you think. Worst thing that could happen is you get some really nice freezer ornaments.
woot.gif

Cool! Just what I wanted to hear( and I rarely get that wish
wink.png
). Yup, an auto gate that just closes is a lot easier and cheaper. You just need a "release" and have the thing spring loaded like a screen door. Duck is one of my favorite meals, so no matter what it will all work out. Thanks

Swamp

Back
Top Bottom