Duck Feeder?

zchryjmsbnntt

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
Hi everyone!

So I have been all over the Internet and BYC looking at different threads about duck feeders. There are a couple on here but all are more than a couple years old. I'm about to start my duck coop for three pekin females and still trying to figure out the feeder situation. I've attached pictures of some ideas I like which all have the same common idea: a pvc hole the ducks stick their head in. But all the pictures or ideas I have seen only show chickens eating out of them.

The question is, I've read ducks do not like or take to kindly sticking their head in a hole to get food. Just wondered if anyone has has come across this? Or if anyone has any pictures or ideas for a duck feeder that would work well/better?

Thanks again for any help!

Last edited:
I would do a test run to see how they react before building a bigger project. I know my ducks would run threw fire to get food. But some run from there own shadow. I will post up some Ida's I've seen that I would like to try also. Believe it or not I've seen a ton of feeder ideas on Pinterest.

I would do a test run to see how they react before building a bigger project. I know my ducks would run threw fire to get food. But some run from there own shadow. I will post up some Ida's I've seen that I would like to try also. Believe it or not I've seen a ton of feeder ideas on Pinterest.

Thanks for all the pics! I've seen a lot on Pinterest as well but they always seem to show pictures of chickens instead of ducks so I didn't know if ducks would actually stick their head in a hole lol. I mean, I guess if they didn't want to be hungry they would learn to lol. What are you currently using to feed your ducks?

Thanks for all the pics! I've seen a lot on Pinterest as well but they always seem to show pictures of chickens instead of ducks so I didn't know if ducks would actually stick their head in a hole lol. I mean, I guess if they didn't want to be hungry they would learn to lol. What are you currently using to feed your ducks?

Right now I'm just using grounders.

But I too have been considering a new setup. Especially now that I'm building a bigger duck coop.

We make our own feeders like the second one by cutting a 12 foot pipe into three 4' sections. We put a cap on top, a wye on the bottom, and a grated plug in the bottom of the wye to let any moisture and/or feed dust out the bottom (you could use a solid plug if you prefer). The ducks eat out of the angled wye andcwe can keep them filled since they are gravity feeders. We use them for our chickens too. My husband also added a rain guard over the wye with a piece of plexiglass with a 4" hole cut into it so it goes down over the pipe. Then we attach it to a fence, tree, or coop to keep it upright.

I would not use a feeder that requires them to put their heads inside for fear they might break their neck if there is any altercation over feed. I once had a llama kill some of my ewes by trying to breed them while their heads were in the hay feeder.

We make our own feeders like the second one by cutting a 12 foot pipe into three 4' sections. We put a cap on top, a wye on the bottom, and a grated plug in the bottom of the wye to let any moisture and/or feed dust out the bottom (you could use a solid plug if you prefer). The ducks eat out of the angled wye andcwe can keep them filled since they are gravity feeders. We use them for our chickens too. My husband also added a rain guard over the wye with a piece of plexiglass with a 4" hole cut into it so it goes down over the pipe. Then we attach it to a fence, tree, or coop to keep it upright.

Do you let your ducks "free eat" all day or do you only provide their feed once a day? I only ask cause I went to this a lady's farm today to check out her ducks and she only feeds them in the mornings. She said if she left feed out, they'd always be eating and get too fat. I asked her about pvc gravity feeders and she said she used them but only puts a couple cups in a day. Kinda defeats the purpose of the pvc feeder if you ask me lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom