Duck feeder

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Doszbvnp, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Doszbvnp

Doszbvnp Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    My friend has a duck that has been raised with chicken all her life, so of course she thinks that she is a chicken; she would not swim except clean her muddy beak in the wading pool she placed in the yard for her... The only problem is that she does the same with the water feeder for the chicken also... Does anybody have any idea of how to keep the waterer clean so that the chicken can have some clean water all the time?

2. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I don't think it can be done without keeping the duck away from the chicken water. Ducks make muddy water.

3. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    I have a duck living with 6 chooks and the water supply is always getting murky! I change the water every morning and then again in the evening.. not ideal especially when the waterer can hold 2-3 days water supply! But thats ducks for you..

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Ducks are filter feeders. They carry a bill full of pellets or crumbles to the water, and then push water through it and extract the fine particles. They will do the same with mud. There isn't any way to change this.

Your best bet might be to have two separate systems, a bucket or two for the duck, and a nipple water system above for the chickens. I'm not sure how you would keep the chickens out of the buckets, but at least they would have the option to get clean water from the nipple system if they wanted to.

5. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Quote:This is a good idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by