Duck feeder

Doszbvnp

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
My friend has a duck that has been raised with chicken all her life, so of course she thinks that she is a chicken; she would not swim except clean her muddy beak in the wading pool she placed in the yard for her... The only problem is that she does the same with the water feeder for the chicken also... Does anybody have any idea of how to keep the waterer clean so that the chicken can have some clean water all the time?

I don't think it can be done without keeping the duck away from the chicken water. Ducks make muddy water.

I have a duck living with 6 chooks and the water supply is always getting murky! I change the water every morning and then again in the evening.. not ideal especially when the waterer can hold 2-3 days water supply! But thats ducks for you..

Ducks are filter feeders. They carry a bill full of pellets or crumbles to the water, and then push water through it and extract the fine particles. They will do the same with mud. There isn't any way to change this.

Your best bet might be to have two separate systems, a bucket or two for the duck, and a nipple water system above for the chickens. I'm not sure how you would keep the chickens out of the buckets, but at least they would have the option to get clean water from the nipple system if they wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom