duck fighting

nathanmouse

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
So i have two female pekins and two drakes. Is there going to be fighting? I remember from having chickens how aggressive the males can be, are drakes the same?

I have 2 female pekins and one male and its fine as there is only one male to two female. I do think by having two drakes and only two females they will get over-mated with and cause harm, i suggest getting one more female maybe even two.

Yes, there will most likely be fighting. The best option would be to re-home one of the drakes, but if you really want to keep both (and have the room) you can also try getting more females. The best ratio for ducks is one male to 3 females, so you'd need four more females.

I have 9 girls and 4 boys, there's not much fighting. They can get agressive yes, but not as bad as roosters. Drakes are happy to chase another drake away, even just a few metres, roosters have to kill the other guy

I have a male and a female duck and they have been with my chickens and everything has been good my hens started laying a few weeks ago my drake started I thought fighting with my hens I came home last Friday and 1 of my hens was dead in the barn the male killed my hen they now have a different coop from my hens I was told he was trying to mate with the hen and if I didn't move him he would kill all my hens now he is very aggressive with me when I go into his coop he starts biting at my feet and legs and running around like a crazy duck he's always been gentle until now is this normal and if so what can I do for him I really like my ducks and don't want to get rid of them any advise is appreciated thanks

I have a male and a female duck and they have been with my chickens and everything has been good my hens started laying a few weeks ago my drake started I thought fighting with my hens I came home last Friday and 1 of my hens was dead in the barn the male killed my hen they now have a different coop from my hens I was told he was trying to mate with the hen and if I didn't move him he would kill all my hens now he is very aggressive with me when I go into his coop he starts biting at my feet and legs and running around like a crazy duck he's always been gentle until now is this normal and if so what can I do for him I really like my ducks and don't want to get rid of them any advise is appreciated thanks

Unfortunately, that is pretty normal drake behavior during breeding season. They can definitely kill chickens when they try to mate, and will often get very aggressive with their human caretakers as well. My drake is the same way. I had to keep him in "duck jail" (which is just the pen next to my other ducks) for several months until he calmed down. He has moulted now and calmed down ALOT. He was attacking, chasing, and biting me for months. He is a nice sweet duck outside of breeding season, though. I was just able to finally put him back with my females and older ducklings last week. I really contemplated getting rid of him when he was being such a pain in the butt, but I held onto the belief that he really would calm down after breeding season. And he did! So, just keep him separated somewhere where you and the chickens can exist peacefully until his hormones calm down. No need to get rid of him, the behavior will pass with time.

Thank you so much should I take the female duck out to?

Only if he's being too aggressive with her. Is she missing any feathers on the back of her head? That would indicate he is over-breeding her and you'd want to separate them, but I think if she seems ok you should leave them together for now. Just keep a close eye on them that he doesn't get too rough with her since she's the only female duck you have for him. Is it possible for you to get at least two more females ducks for him? That would help alot and assure that he won't overbreed your one female and cause her injury. The ideal sex ratio for ducks is one male to at least 3 females.

Back
Top Bottom