Duck flock bonding issues

lalalaleeee

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
We have a problem with our call duck drake. He was raised for the first 3 months with the indian runners and ancona. About 6 weeks ago we introduced two little call duck girlfriends to him and set them up in their own yard with a nice pool and all. Our little drake just pines away for the big flock who are about 25 yards away and he refuses to swim (he used to love the water). He just paces along the fence. The two little girls used to follow him, but now have started attacking him. He is scared of them. We removed the more aggressive female and now the less aggressive one just follows the drake around. When we tried to reintroduce the more aggressive one, the less aggressive one suddenly started attacking the drake. Should we put them all back with the big flock? If we do, will the call drake just pine away again when we divide everyone up for mating season or will his mating instincts take over? We just don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I don't know anything about ducks. You will want to post this question in our Ducks section for more help from the duck experts...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I hope you can get this sorted out soon. :)

I would put them back in the main flock as long as everyone was getting along. Or at least until /IF the duck people tell you to do differently.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I don't know much about ducks, but I would post this in the Ducks section of the forums. Good luck!

Thanks for the direction. I figured out how to post it under ducks so I'm hopeful to find an answer soon :)

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Our experts in our duck section should be able to help you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can.Good luck with your call duck drake.

Back
Top Bottom