1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck flock bonding issues

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lalalaleeee, Sep 19, 2014.

1. lalalaleeee

lalalaleeee New Egg

Sep 19, 2014
    We have a problem with our call duck drake. He was raised for the first 3 months with the indian runners and ancona. About 6 weeks ago we introduced two little call duck girlfriends to him and set them up in their own yard with a nice pool and all. Our little drake just pines away for the big flock who are about 25 yards away and he refuses to swim (he used to love the water). He just paces along the fence. The two little girls used to follow him, but now have started attacking him. He is scared of them. We removed the more aggressive female and now the less aggressive one just follows the drake around. When we tried to reintroduce the more aggressive one, the less aggressive one suddenly started attacking the drake. Should we put them all back with the big flock? If we do, will the call drake just pine away again when we divide everyone up for mating season or will his mating instincts take over? We just don't know what to do.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I don't know anything about ducks. You will want to post this question in our Ducks section for more help from the duck experts...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I hope you can get this sorted out soon. :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would put them back in the main flock as long as everyone was getting along. Or at least until /IF the duck people tell you to do differently.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I don't know much about ducks, but I would post this in the Ducks section of the forums. Good luck!

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. lalalaleeee

lalalaleeee New Egg

Sep 19, 2014
    Thanks for the direction. I figured out how to post it under ducks so I'm hopeful to find an answer soon :)

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I hope you can get answers to your questions!

8. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Our experts in our duck section should be able to help you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can.Good luck with your call duck drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by