MolliMonster99

Songster
Jul 22, 2021
Hi all! I have a flock of 6 runners, 2 cayugas and 2 ISA browns. We are currently working on their run in an attempt to keep it as dry as possible but we're having some issues. We are covering the run in concrete slabs but they keep sinking into the mud and pooling water in the centre. On one hand, the water can be brushed away easily and actually ends up cleaning the poop off the rest of the slabs, but it's annoying having to sweep it constantly. What do you guys use for your outdoor run? We are thinking of doing half slabs and the other half chip bark, but I'd love some more ideas!

Where are you/what is your climate like? I'm in northern Virginia and I use a base of partly composted wood chips (from the coop), and add fresh chips, leaves, grass clippings, etc. as we produce it. Right next to the pool, where it's wetter, I've just installed some pallets covered in plastic coated hardware cloth that I'm trying to start something growing under- I have one that works fairly well in a low point in the chicken area that has a mix of violets and grass under it.
In my experience/area, anything solid- cement, large rocks, a ramp up to the pool- quickly ends up coated in poop and super stinky, but given a carbon source and a little time it will compost instead and stay cleaner.

Im in NE Florida. I dont have a run: my ducks free range in my small-ish suburban back yard. My back yard is mulched with a deep layer of oak leaves. The ducks love the mulch, foraging for bugs! When I first empty a black plastic garbage sack of stored leaves onto the ground, the ducks love running through the pile and scattering the leaves.

The ducks do come across my concrete patio and, if they see me in the florida room, hang out on the steps to my sliding doors. So I have to hose down the back steps and patio every day. I get a lot of green algae frowing and had yo buy a circular attachment for my pressure washer to keep the algae at bay.

Concrete is said to be harsh on ducks feet and a cause of bumblefoot. My ducks have not suffered but I would not chose to put down concrete in a duck run. I cant do anything about my patio: it was there before the ducks.

Thus, I second @Eggstatic ChickyDoo. Use mulched coop bedding and leaves in your run. A deep layer will reduce mud and provide foraging for your ducks

Where are you/what is your climate like? I'm in northern Virginia and I use a base of partly composted wood chips (from the coop), and add fresh chips, leaves, grass clippings, etc. as we produce it. Right next to the pool, where it's wetter, I've just installed some pallets covered in plastic coated hardware cloth that I'm trying to start something growing under- I have one that works fairly well in a low point in the chicken area that has a mix of violets and grass under it.
In my experience/area, anything solid- cement, large rocks, a ramp up to the pool- quickly ends up coated in poop and super stinky, but given a carbon source and a little time it will compost instead and stay cleaner.
I'm in the UK and the weather is constantly changing. A lot of rain, super hot days, snow... I just need something for every weather condition

I'm in the UK and the weather is constantly changing. A lot of rain, super hot days, snow... I just need something for every weather condition
I'm from the NW of England and I know what you mean by constantly chaging -- rain, more rain, and rain!!! Can you gather leaves now -- you can mulch them with your lawn mower to get smaller pieces. Can you get pine shavings there? [I wasn't a duck keeper 30 years ago when I was last living in the UK] You may have to make do with straw [not hay]. If you use straw in your coop, dig it out and start reusing it where there is the most mud. A layer of straw in your run will work but I imagine it would be costly to use unbundled bales of straw raked out over all the ground in your run.

Last edited:
I'm from the NW of ENgland and I know what you mean by constantly chaging -- rain more rain and rain!!! Can you gather leaves now -- you can mulch them with your lawn mower to get smaller pieces. Can you get pine shavings there? [I wasn't a duck keeper 30 years ago when I was last living in the UK] You may have to make do with straw [not hay]. If you use straw in your coop, dig it out and start reusing it where htere is the most mud. A layer of straw in your run will work but I imagine it would be costly to use unbundled bales of straw raked out over all the ground in your run.
I use straw in the coop and that works pretty well, but it doesn't seem to last long as their bedding. I've heard people use chip bark so I've been looking into that.

Back
Top Bottom