Duck food and side effects?

bydhatch

Chirping
Jul 23, 2016
NC
This week we switched our two and a half week old ducklings to a different feed. We went from Manna Pro organic non-medicated started to Purina non-medicated start-n-grow (which has pre and pro biotics). We did it gradually a 3:1 ratio for a couple of days then to half and half. Since we did this they seem to have diarrhea. How long do we give them to adjust before we try a different feed?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmmm, trying to keep my mind wide open for ideas, here....

Sometimes food is a problem. I mean, sometimes it's a little moldy, or there's a missing ingredient...

So if you can get a bit of a different grower feed, you could try that....

Also, Storey's Guide suggested some chopped rolled oats (not instant) sprinkled on their food for fiber. You might try that.

And there are poultry electrolytes you can put in their water . . . that might be an idea since diarrhea can mess up their electrolyte balance. I have found a vitamin-probiotic-electrolyte mix that I have used from time to time.

A teaspoon of charcoal in a pint of drinking water may also help, in case they've gotten into something troublesome.

Could it be that there is something else going on in their world aside from the change in food?

Hmmm, trying to keep my mind wide open for ideas, here....

Sometimes food is a problem.  I mean, sometimes it's a little moldy, or there's a missing ingredient...

So if you can get a bit of a different grower feed, you could try that....

Also, Storey's Guide suggested some chopped rolled oats (not instant) sprinkled on their food for fiber.  You might try that.

And there are poultry electrolytes you can put in their water . . . that might be an idea since diarrhea can mess up their electrolyte balance.  I have found a vitamin-probiotic-electrolyte mix that I have used from time to time.

A teaspoon of charcoal in a pint of drinking water may also help, in case they've gotten into something troublesome.

Could it be that there is something else going on in their world aside from the change in food?

We do have electrolyte in their water.
It all started when we changed food. Otherwise, not much has changed since then.
Maybe their eating area set-up? We are using a pet food mat as a base.

Are your ducklings now spending more time in the water and playing in water? 
The poop sounds normal too me.....
The more water the looser the poop...By now it cant be food related....Continue as you have been...

Yes, more water time.
Is lighter, yellow brown and a bit frothy normal?

Back
Top Bottom