Duck food?

Ally Rose

Songster
7 Years
May 7, 2012
NJ
where am i supposed to get duck food?(no feed stores here--just a beach town lol) i haven't thought this through--- any homemade duck food recipes? does petsmart at least sell chicken feed?(i can use that right?) PLEASE HELP!

Just look don petsmart.com and they don't have chicken feed, just coops and a feeder + waterer--wait can i use that for ducks?
D.gif

where am i supposed to get duck food?(no feed stores here--just a beach town lol) i haven't thought this through--- any homemade duck food recipes? does petsmart at least sell chicken feed?(i can use that right?) PLEASE HELP!
Sometimes Walmart sells chick starter. Call Walmart first and ask for chick starter. Then call Pet stores and ask them. Walmart will have a better price. But this way you know who carries it. You can use that- you will need to add niacin to their water or brewers yeast.
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

You would be surprised how many towns have a feed store. Google your town + feed stores and check the phone book. Even little towns with populations under 2k sometimes have one. Or the next town over- driving 20 minutes is worth it to get good food for your animals. :D

i searched for feed stores and i found one that is pretty close. But I'm afraid that it won't have duck food. In my area, if you have a farm, its for horses or llamas or emus or something like that. Never ducks, really. But i could check. Thanks for your help!

i searched for feed stores and i found one that is pretty close. But I'm afraid that it won't have duck food. In my area, if you have a farm, its for horses or llamas or emus or something like that. Never ducks, really. But i could check. Thanks for your help!
You bet! Just give them a quick call- you'll know in 30 seconds. :D If all else fails- *fingers crossed* that you have a Walmart that carries something. Chicken starter will do in a pinch- most feed stores DON'T carry food for ducks. It's really sad!

I couldn't find actual "duck" feed either. I read enough to know they shouldn't have medicated chicken feed so when I went to the feed store and they didn't have duck feed they sold me game bird feed. It was all they had that wasn't medicated. My 16 ducks are thriving on it. Hope that info helps you too.

After some research I found that game bird feed works for ducks. I have had my ducks on it for more than a month with no problems, and they seem to like it. Though ducks do seem to like most everything. Most feed stores will have the game bird feed, I use the purina brand.

The feed store actually recommended the game bird feed to me and I've been using it for about 4 months. The ducks are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom