Duck Foot Problem: Bone Sticking Out

windeater

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 10, 2008
Yesterday we discovered one of our ducks limping. We originally thought it was bumblefoot; however, on further investigation we have discovered that she has a bone sticking out of the bottom of her foot. Other than the limping and more laying down than usual she is fine - eating, drinking, pooping. I don't know how she got the injury. So far we have cleaned the foot and applied Neosporin. We can take her to the vet but would like to do what we can before that. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think you'd probably better take her to the vet. If it really is bone sticking out, it will need to be taken off and she probably will need an antibiotic to avoid a systemic infection. I had a hen that cut her toe and the bone was sticking out. I tried treating it but she eventually had to be taken to the vet as she wasn't getting better. He cut the bone, sanitized the wound and wrapped it good. She had to take antibiotics as well.

I have a duck with a bone sticking out of the bottom of her foot. There are no vets in my area that treat ducks. What can I do? She is eating and getting around. Just limping a lot and her foot is very swollen. :(

Hello! I don't have a complete answer, but I can suggest you start soaking her foot in Epsom salt and water - two tablespoons E.s. to a half cup of warm water. You can either soak a clean cloth and wrap the foot and leg and hold it, or get a flat-bottomed bowl and stand her in it. Epsom salt is a laxative so you don't want her drinking the solution.

I think we may be able to get some more help if you post this photograph over on the Duck Forum. Many of us concentrate on the Duck Forum and don't get over to this forum much.

Let me see if I can find any other information in the meantime. Please let me know when you can post on the Duck Forum.

One concern is that the bone could already be infected. It looks like the foot and leg are swollen. I would get her on antibiotics as soon as possible. I am no vet or expert, but I have seen Duramycin 10 recommended as an oral antibiotic for systemic infections, here on the forums. I don't know if that is the best treatment. I do know it is serious.

I would still call a local vet, explain the seriousness of the situation and see if you can get them to even offer to call a waterfowl vet in their network.

Or, you could contact the state ag school and try to get their assistance. If there are waterfowl rehabilitators anywhere around, call them. Sometimes there is help if you are persistent.

Last edited:
Yesterday we discovered one of our ducks limping. We originally thought it was bumblefoot; however, on further investigation we have discovered that she has a bone sticking out of the bottom of her foot. Other than the limping and more laying down than usual she is fine - eating, drinking, pooping. I don't know how she got the injury. So far we have cleaned the foot and applied Neosporin. We can take her to the vet but would like to do what we can before that. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
Did you ever find out what to do? I’m having the same situation

Back
Top Bottom