Duck Foot Problem!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoshSnape, Oct 9, 2011.

1. JoshSnape

JoshSnape Chillin' With My Peeps

I have just returned form purchasing 6 ducks 2 welsh harliquin, 2 appleyard and 2 khaki campbell. On return I discovered that one of the Welsh harliquins refused to put its weight on its feet. Upon inspection it seems to have a slit on the middle joint of its middle foot, with swelling around the slit. I have bandaged it up and seperated from the others.

It seems able to move eat and drink by using the other foot and wings with some struggle and is able to put weight on the foot to flap wings. It seems like a happy bird except from the obvious, Is what ive done correct? and Will this wound heal allow her free movement?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer

JoshSnape

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Can we have a pic?

3. JoshSnape

Currently I dont have the means to get a picture, but the wound looks like a paper cut partly seperated, it looks clean and we have applied an ointment to it.

4. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Hmm [​IMG] if you keep the wound clean it will probably heal. If Amiga gets on she can help.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi, JoshSnape,

Looks like you're off to a good start on helping your new duck. Congratulations for your new collection!

I'm guessing that the duck's foot was cut some time ago, but cannot guess for how long. Cleaning, soaking, resting in a nice clean place (i.e. fresh straw - we all know how quickly ducks can soil bedding), topical antibiotic ointment are a good start. I would back that up with what many here have seen me write before: vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics.

One danger with a wound as you probably know is that if the infection gets into the bloodstream, things can go downhill. Ducks don't tend to let on when they're feeling bad.

If that's the case - and it may be, depending on how deep the cut is, and how long it's been untreated, you may be best off getting help with an oral or injectable antibiotic. Do you know a vet, a waterfowl rehabilitator, someone who can guide you toward the best option just in case?

Back to duckie - is the entire foot warm, does it look even a little swollen (the whole foot) compared to the other foot?

Eating and drinking are very good signs, I'm so glad to read that. You could put some apple cider vinegar in her water, too, as a tonic.

One of our Duck Forum members (probably more than one, actually) puts Epsom salts in water in a tiny bucket and stands her ducks in that to soak injured feet - you don't want the duck ingesting Epsom salts in this case - it flushes out their digestive tract.

Best to you all - may you and your ducks form a happy flock!

[​IMG]

6. JoshSnape

Thanks for the advice, The foot does not feel warm and is not swollen in comparrion, its just a small area surrounding the wound, I do know a vet but wheather they know anything about ducks is the question. I will keep the run clean and as dry as possible with british weather. I will try some of your advice ( what can be done in the uk) and keep you up to date on the ducks progress.

Thanks very much

JoshSnape

7. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    if you can dress the wound and wrap the foot to keep it dry and clean, that will help also.
    limit mobility - small fenced area or a large dog crate - will help with strain from trying to get around on one foot and wing-crutches... trying to keep up with the other ducks can cause more issues. you may need to keep one of the other ducks in with it to keep it from stressing about being alone.

8. JoshSnape

I already had it seperated in a omlet tunnel it doesnt have anyone with it but can see them, is it vital to have one with it?

JoshSnape

9. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:no, just depends on the duck. some will be fine and calm if they can see the other ducks. some pace and fret and are clearly unhappy. if your duck is calm, alone that's best.

10. JoshSnape

It is not moving too much, spends most of time in bed, but has been see out and drinkin but dont know about eating.

JoshSnape

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by