Duck force feed help

Thank you for your kind words on my poor ducky passing away.

I wanted to come in here and see how yours is doing, and the news looks fabulous.
So good to hear and i hope she improves everyday now.

Well done hun
big_smile.png

Sorry for cross-posting but I want to update this thread.

Thank you all.

My duck keeps improving. She is eating her own food now but I still need to give her medications for another 4-5 days. I let her out swim twice today because it was warm here in Michigan. She still walks a little slow because she lost a lot of weight and is only slowing gaining strength.

Sorry for cross-posting but I want to update this thread.

Thank you all.

My duck keeps improving. She is eating her own food now but I still need to give her medications for another 4-5 days. I let her out swim twice today because it was warm here in Michigan. She still walks a little slow because she lost a lot of weight and is only slowing gaining strength.
We sure do love to hear good news. So happy she is improving everyday!!

The weather is also helping her. Today it is in the 50's and it rained last night. I let her free-range/swim today with the other two ducks and also found 8 earthworms for her. After about 2 hours, I put them into the pen and she ate the feed and is napping now. I will let her out again around noon.

She looks/acts almost as normal, still a little thin though.

Last edited:
The weather is also helping her. Today it is in the 50's and it rained last night. I let her free-range/swim today with the other two ducks and also found 8 earthworms for her. After about 2 hours, I put them into the pen and she ate the feed and is napping now. I will let her out again around noon.

She looks/acts almost as normal, still a little thin though.
The weight will come back, just keep on with what your doing. sounds great!!

She continues to improve. She acts and eats normal and is gaining weight slowly.

She has one more day of antibiotics and Lasix left.

Talked to the vet today and we are going to continue the Lasix for another 30 days and see. He did want to cut the dose to half so only once a day and that is certainly welcomed by us. The vet was surprised because he was not expecting this (that the duck survived).

I have been living in Michigan for 23 years and cannot remember 50-60 degrees in December. The ducks are swimming in the ponds but I do put them into the pen to rest every a few hours.

Last edited:
She continues to improve. She acts and eats normal and is gaining weight slowly.

She has one more day of antibiotics and Lasix left.

Talked to the vet today and we are going to continue the Lasix for another 30 days and see. He did want to cut the dose to half so only once a day and that is certainly welcomed by us. The vet was surprised because he was not expecting this (that the duck survived).

I have been living in Michigan for 23 years and cannot remember 50-60 degrees in December. The ducks are swimming in the ponds but I do put them into the pen to rest every a few hours.
Great to hear... I know what you mean about temps. it's crazy here too I keep expecting to see the bushes start to bloom.

Thank you all for your advice.

Almost 10 years later, this duck (A Rong) is still alive, along with her 12 year older sister. They are very happy everyday.

This Sunday afternoon, a fox got her. I saved her from the fox but she was badly injured. Her lower back had a very big wound and most of the skin was gone. All vet emergencies were either not open or fully booked. I used Bactine and the bleeding stopped.

Monday morning, I took her to the vet for an emergency appointment. He cleaned up the wounds, put some NEOMYCIN/TETRACAINE powder, prescribed some antibiotic, pain killer, and the powder. We are giving the antibiotic every 12 hours and the pain killer once a day, and the powder as needed if the wound shows wetness.

She is improving, taking some water, a few peas, but not eating solid foods. It is about 48 hours since she ate. So we are back to this big concern: nutrition during her recovery.

She is very alert. Yesterday I dug about 10 earth worms from the backyard and she ate them in seconds! It is not easy to find earthworks in the summer.

I still believe in miracles and hope she will survive this fox attack.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
A very sad update. A Rong (the Peking duck) passed away yesterday. To our best knowledge, she was hatched around early March, 2011 because we bought her in TSC on March 15, 2011. She lived a long life (11 years and 5 months). We tried our best to take care of her and feel very sad and heartbroken that she is not with us anymore. Over the last 11 years or so, there might be only a total of 10 weeks (due to travel) I did not see her daily.

Eventually we think it was due to her old age. Her organs just did not have the normal functions to overcome this terrible trauma. Her wounds healed OK but she just did not have any appetite and little digestive function. Plus she was hatched with leg defects and always walked very slow. In the last couple years, she always struggled to stand up when we gave her treats.

Without this fox attack, we think she could have lived a little longer. We have our entire backyard fenced and have seen fox outside the fence a few times over the years. This time, the fox climbed over the fence, ...

Rest in peace, A Rong.

Now we have one Cayuga duck left, she is one year older than A Rong so 12 years and 5 months old. She will be securely protected!

Thank you for all your concerns and advice!

Back
Top Bottom