Duck/Geese food went up $7 a bag!!!!!!

Well the problem with the FlockRaiser is the amount of protein in it. It's either 24 or 28% I believe. Ducks don't need that much protein. I'm purchasing a specific waterfowl food. I'm going to see what I can do. This is absolutely crazy!

Laurie

buying so much food was getting exspensive so one of my friends i remembered he sells whole corn for 3$ a bushel (56lbs)!!! i was like Thank god cause i couldnt afford 9 dollars for a bag of really dusty corn!

$34.00 for 50lbs???? OUCH, I would have to sell all my birds if I had to pay that. I pay about $10 for 50lbs of 16% layer or $11 for 23% meat maker. Both of those I mix with some corn screenings that I purchased for $100 a ton. I now found a farmer that will sell me his corn screenings for just $50 a ton. I have about 200 ducks and chickens and they all seem to be doing just fine eating what I have been giving them.

Guys, here in SC we have green grass still (Ky 31 fescue) I plan to free range mine in an apple orchard with minimal feed....problem with this plan?

My Flockraiser says 20 % protein on the tag. Also, higher in niacin so good for the duckies.
Hope you can find feed at a better price. It's up here too. But the Purina has stayed the same during this month,
Liz
Rochester, MA

I'm always amazed about how much the whole cron/cracked corn price fluctuates at TSC. I know it goes with the market but I remember mid 2007 I was paying $13 a bag for cracked corn and just last I got a bag for $7. I pay $11 for the layena feed at TSC and I feed that to all my birds. I know some people like feeding a high quality brand but my theory is with the corn, oats, scraps and free range foraging they do, I can pretty much feed them any old feed because that just covers the essential nutrients that they might not be getting out of the environment.

There is a TSC is Kingsport you should be able to get the Purina line of feeds. I'm paying $11.99 for layena and $12.99 for flock raiser in Knoxville. The flock raiser is 20%. I could not imagine paying $30 a bag for feed!
ep.gif

http://www.purinamills.com/OurProducts.aspx?product=poultry

When I got my first three ducks (just a few years ago), a 50-pound bag of Purina Duck Grower was $12.95. Last month, it was $14.95 - which is actually down from the $16.95 I was paying in 2008!

You might try mixing Mazuri with FlockRaiser or Layena to curb costs a little bit.

It'll be interesting to see how much more it goes up in the coming months. I'm keeping a detailed record of all my duck expenses this year, to see how much my hobby is really costing me! I've even invested in energy usage monitors to calculate how much running my incubator and heat lamps costs!

That Mazuri duck feed here today was $38.40 a bag. I told them to forget it. Does anyone on here think that it's that much better than the Purina, to justify such a price?

The environmentalists got the govertment to mandate the use of 10% ethanol in our gas as a blend on the guise that it is good for the environment and self sufficiency. Out in the West, the winter blend of ethanol amount whent up considerably a month ago. My gas milage immediately droped almost 3 miles to the galon. Gas prices jumped up 6 cents a galon last night. So what benefit is this to the environment when all of us have to burn more gas and get less milage ??? Guess what ethanol is made from ???

Back
Top Bottom